XRL Headlight Wattage

So. Is anyone running a higher wattage H4 bulb in the headlamp? Can the wire harness handle the extra amps of say, an 80 watt bulb? Can the regulator/rectifier handle the amps? Just would like a little more light(within reason, being semi-legal:naughty: haha). What do ya' think? Andy

So. Is anyone running a higher wattage H4 bulb in the headlamp? Can the wire harness handle the extra amps of say, an 80 watt bulb? Can the regulator/rectifier handle the amps? Just would like a little more light(within reason, being semi-legal:naughty: haha). What do ya' think? Andy

I run a 130/90 on my XRL with the deathray setup.

I would not overload your stock wiring because it travels through your switches as well. Overloading your stock wires and switches will lead to short bulb life and possible electrical damage.

You only have about 180 watts from your alternator to begin with, and if you go too heavy on your headlight with stock wiring you notice it dimming with use of the blinkers, horn and brakelight.

If you want a bright headlight, get a glass lense, a shiney reflector and run dedicated wiring from your battery through relays then to your headlight.?

pic-2.jpg

You should have no trouble with a higher output bulb. Be careful what you get. Many bulbs are standard wattage but high output. I would stay away from those. They get extra light by running the filament hotter. This results in less life and less resistance to vibration. Nothing like sudden darkness on a bike. This place has "real" high output bulbs for less $$$. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp Baja Designs also has good higher wattage bulbs. Stay away from the "+30" or "+50" bulbs as those are the hotter running short life type.

You will have no problem with higher wattage bulbs. I would not use anything over 110 watts. Those 130 watt ones might be too much.

Ok, thanks guys. I was checking out the different bulbs and I'm looking at the xenon bulbs. What's the difference between xenon and halogen? I'm thinking the xenon has a bluish tint instead of the yellowish halogen? Do you think you can see better with the xenon? Cleaner white light?

All of those colored bulbs work by filtering out light. That means less light. The clear bulbs will give the most light. The bluer color might help, but not as much as the filtering out of light hurts. Total watts is the best measure of light output. Many of those bulbs are not that expensive, you could try a couple different one. Another possibility is to call them and ask which they think is best.

Ok. I have never used those xenon lights before. So, I didnt know if they work better or, just look kinda cool. I will go with more light over cool. Yeh, they are cheap enough to try some different ones out and see what helps me get more light on the road. Thanks again. Andy

You might think about trying a piaa h4 off road anti vibration bulb.

I'm running one in my '06 xrl and it's like night and day!

I hear ya, that stock light is is about as bright as a 2 dollar flashlight!!!?

They are kinda expensive, around 43 bucks but worth every penny.

Check out rocky mountain atv/mc.