Windscreen advice for an '07 DR650SE...

Hey ...

Back on post #217 of the "DR Windshields, Deflectors, Fairings, Bugslappers" thread on ADVrider...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9922288&postcount=217

I posted the "DR650 MadStad Turbo Windscreen mount " .... was great for adjustabillity ...

Since then ... MadStad has come out with "RoboBrackets" ... below's a "Prototype" ....

Animated GIF showing the range of adjustment on my DR350....

RoboDR350-1.gif

For those who do some serious slab or commuting miles ... If you could use something like this ... I encourage you all to go to www.madstad.com click on the Contact Us button near the top and either email or phone him and let him know that there is a market out there for an adjustable "Dual-Sports" windscreen. …

DR650 MadStad Turbo Windscreen mount --:excuseme:

Check it out .... in the "DR Windshields, Deflectors, Fairings, Bugslappers" thread on ADVrider - post #217

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291581

MRA_FLA_1405.jpg

Larry

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 5'10" . Would the 23" Parabellum work for me or do I need the tall one?
You would need the tall one I believe. I am about the same height and ordered the 23 inch one first and it didn't work out well. Exchanged it for the 25 inch one and it works great. I can see a couple inches over it in normal riding. Also a good company to do business with

Picture247.jpg

I have a spitfire windscreen, ordered it cause it looked the most 'suited' to the bike and would provide good protection. I was right and wrong

I think the shield itself is too big, imo on a bike like this you need a small shield otherwise you get a lot of turbulence. Though I can't be 100% on that cause the mounting system they provide is HORRID, absolutely disgraceful. The pivot is at the base of the mount, no pivot at the end or in the middle. I have to literally remove the mounts and reposition them on the bars to try any meaningful change in height or angle otherwise I contact something or other. It's also fairly flimsy imo, too much movement

That's the bad,

The good:

The shield does deflect at least 50% of the wind, made my 21 hour ride from Cairns to Brisbane much easier, even with the constant helmet buzzing.

After some experimenting I shifted the mounts off the handlebars, and instead secured them to the indicator stalks (rigid stalk aftermarket ones so it doesn't move). Now the wind protection is much better overall, the shield was lowered about 2" and angled lower, it was also lifted off the headlight shroud. Still takes about 40% wind off my chest, dumps probly an extra 20% into my neck/helmet than it did before (still a bit less than without the shield) but it's smooth and not turbulent. I found myself sailing up to 130kph thinking I was still under 100. I just need to make the mount more rigid. Or just piss it off completely and get something better

I think it's a good shield it just desperately needs a better mount

DR650 MadStad Turbo Windscreen mount --:excuseme:

Check it out .... in the "DR Windshields, Deflectors, Fairings, Bugslappers" thread on ADVrider - post #217

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291581

Yeah - if Tubo City and MadStad teamed up, that would be PERFECT!

I'm running a National Cycle deflector myself. I'm 6'5", so needed something a bit taller. Still, had to make longer shield-to-screen arms so that I could adjust the screen more forward. Could never get it high enough to act as a proper fairing, but it allows me to ride on the highways without needing to grip the bars to keep from getting blown off.

• 10 months later...
After reading forums about windscreens...and not being able to get an MRA Roadshield from Twisted Throttle (backordered, 5-6 week wait), I purchaced and installed an 06 spitfire. My first adjustment was as the directions stated, "parallel with the forks." On the test ride from 40mph to 80mph the wind smacked directly into my goggles. They vibrated so bad I couldn't see well at all. My next adjustment was along the line of the headlight faring. That seemed to direct the wind about shoulder height. (I'm 5'6").

I tried to increase the rake to direct the flow towards the top of my helmet but to no avail.

Does anyone have experience with this windscreen and have advice for the best mounting procedure? I can live with it now but I'd like a little more wind/rain protection.

I'm 5'10, but have a short inseam, so the position of my helmet might sit quite a bit higher than yours. In any case, here's how I have my Spitfire set up and it works quite well - for me, at least:

39630_460202286069_698456069_6872647_2812876_n.jpg

Its more in line with the fairing than with the forks, and lowered as far as the brackets would allow. In this position, the airstreams hits me just under the chin bar of the helmet, so the buffeting effect on my head is minimized while still keeping the strain of prolonged hwy speeds off my chest.

I'm 5'10, but have a short inseam, so the position of my helmet might sit quite a bit higher than yours. In any case, here's how I have my Spitfire set up and it works quite well - for me, at least

Yikes! That looks like it would stab you right in the face or neck.

I've have the Spitfire and Parabellum. The only reason I have a windscreen is to reduce the wind chill when its cold. I don't care for one in the summer.

I don't like the Spitfire since it doesn't offer much wind protection. The Parabellum is mutch better for that use. Both are for tame riding only. No 3D trails or you'll get clocked on the bridge of the nose when you lean forward on an upward climb.