Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott526

False neutral in '03 yz450f

6 posts in this topic

I periodically hit a false neutral on my bike, between 3rd and 4th gear. This weekend it caused a bad crash. I know that part of the problem must be me, I probably get a little tired and don't concentrate on making a crisp shift. But, I was also wondering if this is a sign that the clutch needs replacing, or if it's something else. I have an MSR spring loaded shifter, and the lever is slightly higher than my footpeg. I appreciate any suggestions.

Maybe just operator error. But it could be early signs of wear on the locking lugs (dogs) that engage 4th gear.

I've hit false neutrals on all my bikes. It could just be that when you shift,the lever inside(don't know what it's proper name is) that works with the shifter's cog(or whatever it's called) sits on top of a tooth rather than in between two teeth and then no gear is actually selected. That's how neutral is selected, it's a half tooth with a curve on top for the lever end to sit in. Like you said, you make these kind of half shifts when you get tired and don't quite get it to shift to the next gear, but only get the shifter cog to turn half as much as is needed. I hope you can understand my lame terminology. It'd be easier to explain if I drew a picture.

Maybe just operator error. But it could be early signs of wear on the locking lugs (dogs) that engage 4th gear.

I 2nd that....I have seen this 50times

I think i recall hitting a 'false neutral' on a couple of past bikes. NOne of which every developed any problems. Just chaulked it up as driver error :shrugs: