XR650L Exhaust

Hello all, stupid question coming: so my roommate said that putting an aftermarket exhaust should make the bike run richer, is that correct? Could someone explain exactly what happens when you put on a new exhaust (besides "makes it breath easier"). Thanks ahead of time!:thumbsup:

when you install a free flowing exhaust, the bike runs LEANER afterwards. less restriction in the exhaust creates better flow. thus needing rejetting to richer jets. check out dynojet kit or daves mods.

See, that is exactly what I told him. He told me that his exhaust had a much stronger scent of gasoline after he put on his straight pipes on his Yamaha Victory 650. I have rejetted my main from 152 to a 155, so do you think that is rich enough of a jet to handle a more free-flowing exhaust?

See, that is exactly what I told him. He told me that his exhaust had a much stronger scent of gasoline after he put on his straight pipes on his Yamaha Victory 650. I have rejetted my main from 152 to a 155, so do you think that is rich enough of a jet to handle a more free-flowing exhaust?

he prob. did smell a little more fuel out the exhaust now that it is free flowing, all that fuel coming in is getting out. thus making the incoming charge leaner. as far as jetting, 55pilot, 155 to 160 should be good. depending on elevation. what intake mods have you done?

More air in + more exhaust out = more fuel required.

Hold on a sec; so you lose gas mileage when you put on an aftermarket free-flowing exhaust?

No because youre not working as hard to push the exhaust out, more available HP to the crank, now depending how you use it, thats where you may loose the gas milage.

Hold on a sec; so you lose gas mileage when you put on an aftermarket free-flowing exhaust?

no! i get 50 mph plus on the hiway (at 65 mph 15/48 gearing) with exhaust and the fcr pumper carb for 2 reasons. 1: smaller diameter bore (41 vs 42.5 on the cv). 2: like jyz said less throttle with more power equals less fuel consumption.:thumbsup:

no! i get 50 mph plus on the hiway (at 65 mph 15/48 gearing) with exhaust and the fcr pumper carb for 2 reasons. 1: smaller diameter bore (41 vs 42.5 on the cv). 2: like jyz said less throttle with more power equals less fuel consumption.:thumbsup:

Man, you still get 50+ with a 48 (stock 45) rear sprocket on, that's really good. :thumbsup:

I got 53-55 with a totally stock L, I'm going to try and see if I can hit close to 60mpg with these mods ......

dynojet kit

smog removed

White Brothers E series muffler/ 5 disc on

42 rear sprocket (what will help most I think)

Think I'll hit it ?

seems like the only decrease in gas mileage is the dynojet; am I correct? I think you can hit 60mpg no problem. Keep us updated Huffa. Also, why did you go with the White Brothers E series muffler? Also, by adding more discs, does that make it louder?

Man, you still get 50+ with a 48 (stock 45) rear sprocket on, that's really good. :thumbsup:

I got 53-55 with a totally stock L, I'm going to try and see if I can hit close to 60mpg with these mods ......

dynojet kit

smog removed

White Brothers E series muffler/ 5 disc on

42 rear sprocket (what will help most I think)

Think I'll hit it ?

should be no prob. to get that!