04 WR 450 starter problems

Well i have a 04 wr 450 and i just put a new battery in it and everything was working great for about 5 days of riding on a week trip then all the sudden the battery was dead! Well i check with a volt meter and the battery said 10 volts in know it needs to be 12 or more but when i push the ignition switch with the red led light the voltage drops to 4 volts so either something is wrong with the switch or maybe the relay that is by the battery. If anyone can help me I would be very appreciative. Thanks and also WR's Rock

What is the voltage with the bike running? If it's not over 12 volts then the charging circuit is not working. Check for a blown fuse, bad regulator, loose connection, etc.

Well i have a 04 wr 450 and i just put a new battery in it and everything was working great for about 5 days of riding on a week trip then all the sudden the battery was dead! Well i check with a volt meter and the battery said 10 volts in know it needs to be 12 or more but when i push the ignition switch with the red led light the voltage drops to 4 volts so either something is wrong with the switch or maybe the relay that is by the battery. If anyone can help me I would be very appreciative. Thanks and also WR's Rock

I had a charging problem on my 04 for a long time and it ended up being a short in the headlight bulb. Try unplugging the headlight just for giggles then check the voltage at the battery with bike running. Should read around 14 volts. This was all trial and error on my part as I replaced the regulator then the stator per the manual. Maybe my problem was a fluke but I'd like to think I could save someone the frustration I had. My headlight still worked and it was the factory bulb. My bike never charged more than 12.4 before and the e-start would only work about 10 times on a full charge. Now it charges at 14.3 at idle and my battery never needs a charge. P.S. if you end up needing a regulator/rectifier or a stator pm me and I can hook you up with either cheap. Good luck! :thumbsup:

I only have about 11 to 12 volts when charging

My battery never charged, nor did my lights work. I put a new stator in it, reall easy and cost about 140 cdn, so that's about 139 american. Now everything works like brand new.

cost about 140 cdn, so that's about 139 american.

lol........... I love it

i'm having the same problem on my 04 wr250f. it all started when i realized i had no front light. in fact i think i had not enough juice because the light was just slightly glowing. the socket was melted a bit so it suggest a short. after 2 hours of riding the e-start stopped working... like the battery was dead. then the day after i wasn't even able to kick start. the ignition red led was not even glowing. i think the stator might be the problem...am i right???

if so, which options do i have... is it possible to rebuilt it? or should i buy a new one

thx

anyone?

Try checking your voltage with that headlight unplugged. My stock bulb had a short and caused alot of headache. I wrote this all up if you do a search but after replacing my regulator and stator per the manual, my bike still left me stranded because of a faulty factory headlight bulb (that still worked).

Check the tail light wire also. I had mine rub through the insulation and caused the same sympton,[the barley glowing bulb]. It also screws up the output from the regulator. I had 11 volts at idle and 4 volts at 1/4 throttle. I thought it was a bad regulator. Now I have a brand new spare.