Dipstick question about dipstick

When reading the oil level, do you screw in the dipstick or just set it in the hole (or does it really matter)? I just notice that the "high-low" marks are fairly close to eachother.

I was told by the dealer to just leave it siting there, not screwed in. I don't know if this is in the manual

Want to hear a bonehead move. I change my oil frequently. Of course being pigheaded I rarely look at the manual. Guy thing. We can do it on our own. At any rate, I drain the oil from below, remove the oil filter, replace it. I then decide, heh I should look at the manual. Don't know where I got that bright idea. As I was reading it stated to remove the plug from the frame. I said to myself I never knew that, where the hell is it. Low and behold there is a screw there.. So I unscrewed the bolt and BAM!!!! all this oil comes out all over my garage floor. I figured it would have drained out the bottom with the rest of the oil, but it didn't. Must be some sort of filter or bypass in that section of the frame. Don't really know. Learned my lesson and po'ed my wife because of the mess. I am the dipstick.

Mike:d

Mike

No worries Mike! I vowed never to tell anyone my first oil change story due to opening myself up to a lifetime of ridicule, but .... I DID read the manual first and still made a complete mess.

First things first, I washed my bike to spotless perfection after riding all day the day before. I then fired it up and let it run for a little while as the manual said to.

I put the oil pan (not just any oil pan - the largest one I could buy) under this frame bolt and prepared for a nice steady DOWNWARD stream of oil. WRONG! This stuff shot horizontally and covered my front tire. As I quickly picked up the oil pan I singed my arm on the pipe dropping the oil pan and what little oil there was in it. I finally got the pan up to the stream, which by now had slowed down, and waited for it to stop. After it slowed down I proceded in removing the other oil drain plugs and continued the change. I was still covered in oil, continuing to knick the hot pipe and mumbling obscenities.

After all the oil had drained, the plugs were installed and the new oil was added, I loosened that specific nut as the manual instructed. Well, I apparently loosened it too much because oil sprayed everywhere when I fired up the bike. NICE!

OK, so now, I kill the ignition, tighten the screw and clean up the mess AGAIN. I added more oil and checked the level...life was good. I thought, "that wasn't sooo bad".

My next step was to drain the oil from the oil pan into a large Gatorade bottle for disposal. As I was pouring the oil, I heard a klinking sound and instantly realized it was the washer to the @#$!! frame bolt!

DOOH!

What better way to spend a Saturday morning? :)

------------------

99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Twin Air filter,E-Series,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,front and rear lights removed

My frame plug spewage went vertical also (never occured that would happen) , but being the bonehead that I am I tried to first grab the flow with my hands then realized how stupid that was. Put my hand to the hole in the frame and created even more of a mess, before I could get a pan to compensate. Thumb in the dike kind of thing. So not only did my tire get it so did everything else including me. My wife would not oil wrestle me which was a bummer she just made me clean it up. By the way I have used the gatoraide container also, just make sure it isn't a 12oz bottle my first mistake.. A little small. We all learn somehow.

Mike :)

Funny stuff guys. Thanks for opening yourselfs up to us. I am still laughing. It occured to me that you must have owned two strokes before :)

------------------

Dougie, '99 WR400

Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

Having owned several XR's that have the same frame tube drain bolt, I know what it was like, and I have made up a nice oil pan for the job. I just cut out the top of an old oil bottle and use that for catching the oil. With the handle I can hold it right up under the dain hole as I remove the bolt to catch every drop of oil. And the best bit is that you can undo the lid to pour the old oil in another bigger bottle/drum and for disposal, and then you can keep re-using your new "trick" (patent pending) oil pan. :)

------------------

R o d. H. Canberra, Australia400 Thumpers Australia

Almost a 2000' WR400

Two strokes take oil too?? No wonder I seized so many engines. Ha!

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 04-26-2000).]

&%$#@! Dougie??

Just because I owned many two strokes doesn't mean I didn't drain MY oil from both holes....When I only drained from one hole, it was because I was pre-occupied doing or thinking something. :)

All my bike problems started after this oil fiasco. My local bone-head Yamaha mechanic didn't think my engine damage occurred from the oil being 500cc over max. All I can hope now is the bike runs normal.

I cut one side out of the top of an oil bottle. The oil hits the other side and splashes back in, then as the flow slows it drops straight down into the opening. Once you have done this you may then knock the bottle over at your leisure. Once you have it in the Gatorade bottle its really fun to jog up the road to that Seierra club types place and thoughtfully dispose of it in his bin, violating a multitude of City, State and Federal EPA ordinances. Other suggestions for "disposal" would be greatly appreciated (bearing in mind that this is a family web site).

i figured it out. Take off the dip stick to release preasure. than take of the bottom drain plug. let it drain until it drips. than take of the frame plug and your mess will be minamal.

Is there anybody who makes anything like a 90 degree fitting for that damn oil bolt in the frame? I have sprayed the floor more than once. Always managed to miss the tire though. How often do you clean your screens? I don't have my manual in front of me, but I seem to remember once a season, or not that often...

Here's what I do. I have a big oil catcher (as big as the rear wheel). I tilt the front wheel all the way to the left. Then push the oil catcher up against the wheel. After warming up the oil, I loosen the fill plug, then remove the frame bolt. It shoots right into the middle of this catcher (moving it in as the oil lessens). Then I move it under the bike so that it still catches the frame drips. Then I remove the engine bolt and drain it from the engine catching all the oil. Then I removed the filter drain bolt and tilt the bike and drain it from there, moving the pan as needed. I never spill a drop on the floor.

------------------

Dougie, '99 WR400

Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 04-27-2000).]

I am sitting here at work reading this post and laughing at your oil changing stories. :D:D I thought that I was the only one!! :D My story is much the same. It was raining that fateful day, so before heading out my buddy and I decided to do some routine maintenance to our bikes (he rides a two smoke). I had only had the bike a week now and wanted to change the oil. I brought along the trusty Yamaha manual, assuming that for such a simple thing that it would not steer me wrong. I cannot describe the expression on my buddies face when all that oil came out of that frame drain plug and spewed all over my bike and HIS garage floor. :D:) I had the drain bucket ready but it was on the floor, not positioned for the oil to come out of there like that. What a mess!! The only thing that made it in the drain bucket was the drain plug and washer which I dropped in surprise to the oil spewing out of the frame. I guess I too learned the hard way. I think that I maybe in the market for a header pipe after that fiasco.

------------------

99 YZ400 Stock!!