Wr450 Great Choice

Hello All,

Just got back from my first ride on my 06 WR450...been reading the forum for awhile now and saw all the concerns from many about "to much bike"...well, I hadn't ridden in 5 years and am older! But, I knew right away that my bike could take anything I chose to throw at it (which ain't much, rode Carnegie CA green trails for an hour and then tackled blue trails the second hour)...the good news is when you need power, you got power...those uphill climbs at Carnegie were a blast....

Anyway, just wanted to share another perspective on this great bike!

OK, only issue I had was gear shifting...struggled to get into higher gears...searched the forum and may have figured it out...other than my boot is too friggin big!

Thanks Prowler, I did that on the trail but then had a hard time getting the leverage to push the gears into 3/4/5...was thinking about putting a bend in the shifter...might end up costing me 50 bucks though for a new one if I screw it up!

Also, it might just be new boots, tech 8s size 11...think I should just wait for boot break in?...thanks...KS

Get your boots soaking wet, go stand in the tub for awhile, that will really loosen them up.

Mine were horribly stiff as well until I went on a long and wet trail ride where my boots were absolutely soaked. After that they were great.

They still provide great protection too as I dropped the bike and the peg ended up on top of my foot, crushing it into the ground. It hurt like hell but no serious damage. I could still walk on it easily enough though I'm sure I broke something in there. There are a lot of little bones in the foot. I'm afraid to think what would have happened if I wasn't wearing them.

I have Tech 8 boots size 11 also, ride at Carnegie every month and ride a 07 WR450. I lazy shift allot, so that's all my shifting issues are. I came off of a 2001 CR500 and I love the WR450, It doesn't have the pop that the 500 has but I can climb better with the 450 it has more control going up. I was a little scared at first with this being my first thumper and coming off a CR500, not anymore this bike is perfect. I would give it a little more power on the top end and the engine brake is something to get used to. I would buy this bike again without hesitation. ?

Thanks, checked out their website...think this is exactly what I need...1 question though...the Yamaha parts for the shifter r YZ specific...did you have any issues installing on a WR?

Appreciate everyone's advice/help....Regards, KS

The YZ and WR shifters are the same.