HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NorCal

80 Hour Maintenance?

10 posts in this topic

My bike has 80+ hours on it since I bought it used last October. The fork seals are leaky, the rear shock is stiff, and I haven't even checked the valves!:thumbsup: (motor still runs great though...Go Yamaha! :thumbsup: )

I'm going to take my bike to a friend who happens to be a Yamaha Tech. I want to prepare a list of things to do in order for my bike to be in tip top shape for next season. What exactly should I have him do? Any reccomendations?

Clean and regrease the head bearings, swing arm, and linkage, change the oil and filter, service the air filter, check the valves (just for fun, of course), and change the coolant.

What'd I forget?

idk, wheel bearings, break pads, carb cleaning/tuning, if you are really nervous or picky check the crank seals and bearings, piston bearing. timing chain. idk theres so many things that can go wrong :thumbsup:

you are really nervous or picky check the crank seals and bearings, piston bearing. timing chain. idk theres so many things that can go wrong :thumbsup:

You must be mistaken on what type of bike I'm riding. I have a Yamaha YZ450.

tell him norcal, you shouldn't have to even bust a seal open on the engine. you could actually put some grease on one of the wheel bearings, like he said, i just don't remember which one(front or back) that is actually greaseable.

Hate to bring this up after the engine debate the other day, but is a fresh top end in order? With 80hrs for sure and who knows what before you bought it, wouldn't that be the most important redo? At least a compression test?

Hate to bring this up after the engine debate the other day, but is a fresh top end in order? With 80hrs for sure and who knows what before you bought it, wouldn't that be the most important redo? At least a compression test?

Checking the valve clearance will tell you a lot (more if you checked them early on). If they haven't moved, they're good.

A compression test is somewhat meaningless with autodecompression, but a leak down test will tell you whether the top end is good or not.

Clean and regrease the head bearings, swing arm, and linkage, change the oil and filter, service the air filter, check the valves (just for fun, of course), and change the coolant.

What'd I forget?

good stuff Grayracer....here is a few more:

replace suspension fluids/nitrogen/forkseals

replace rear shockbearings

change brakefluid - replace pads if needed

Check/replace or regrease at the least front/rear wheel bearings

If you are wanting a new top end....this just was released by GYTR....it is on my "to order parts list". A 13.0:1 compression kit...yes I run racefuel already....and thank God I don't live in Ca :thumbsup:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/348/1218/5375/all/1/7023/0/detail.aspx