I'm confused...high output stator

Ok i'm a little lost here.

I bought Rage headlight, going to run 2 - 50w halogens and 2 - 25w halogens.

So i need 150 watts to power it up on high beam, plus my front filament type signals and my led integrated tail/brake/signal light.

So do i get a 200w stator ?? Or a dual 100w stator, is it a simple connection pop the old one out unplug connector, plug in factory type connector from high output stator and be done with it ??

Do i need a separate regulator/rectifier for the 2nd 100w output ??

What do i need to do to run my setup ?

You can do it either way. Most of the high output stators allow for the outputs to be combined into a single 200 watt system. You will need a high capacity regulator. The current from the high output coil can fry the stock regulator. If you go with a single 200 watt setup you may have to upgrade the wiring. There have been reports of melted wires and connectors when trying to run 200 watts (18 amps) through the wimpy 16 or 18 gauge stock wiring.

I run mine as two separate systems. The reason is reliability. If something goes wrong with a single 200 watt setup, it gets dark quick. Been there done that. Nothing like sudden blackness on a mountain single track at night. If you run two separate systems a problem on one half should not effect the other side. I have a dual sport kit. One coil runs a 90/110 H4 bulb headlight in AC mode. The other coil runs the dual sport kit and some aux headlights and uses a DC regulator. Each half needs a regulator or regulator rectifier.

So you can use more wattage than the stator is rated for ?? A 110 bulb would need 110 watts. So is your light just slightly dim ?

I'll get a split output stator. But again will i have to rewire the system. Right now everything runs off of the single output of the stock stator. So when i plug in the new one i have to hard wire one side to the stock harness to run the the existing signals/brake/tail that are on there now.

Then separately hard wire the 2nd output through a regulator/rectifier to the high beams ??

Since a H4 is a single bulb it will overheat if you run both filaments at the same time. Some do this, but I don't want the added chance of failure.

I run one coil with an AC regulator to the headlight. My stator is good for about 120 or so watts from each coil. It does 110 with no problem. Due to the way that a permanent magnet alternator works it is basically a current source. My stator is good for about 10 amps on each coil. The voltage is dependent on the RPM of the engine. It does dim at idle because the RPMs are too low to make 12 volts. In my experiments the dimming is about the same if I have a 60 watt bulb or the 110 that I have now.

The other coil goes to a DC regulator that runs the dual sport kit. I run an automotive fog lamp off of that. It is really small and doesn't focus well. It just throws light in all directions. That is just what I wanted. The headlight does great straight ahead, but not so well off to the side. I unplug this if I ride on the road at night. Too much light into oncoming traffic.

The simple thing is to just run a single 200 watt setup. A little more complicated would be to run the 2 50 watters on one coil and everything else on the other.

Since a H4 is a single bulb it will overheat if you run both filaments at the same time. Some do this, but I don't want the added chance of failure.

I run one coil with an AC regulator to the headlight. My stator is good for about 120 or so watts from each coil. It does 110 with no problem. Due to the way that a permanent magnet alternator works it is basically a current source. My stator is good for about 10 amps on each coil. The voltage is dependent on the RPM of the engine. It does dim at idle because the RPMs are too low to make 12 volts. In my experiments the dimming is about the same if I have a 60 watt bulb or the 110 that I have now.

The other coil goes to a DC regulator that runs the dual sport kit. I run an automotive fog lamp off of that. It is really small and doesn't focus well. It just throws light in all directions. That is just what I wanted. The headlight does great straight ahead, but not so well off to the side. I unplug this if I ride on the road at night. Too much light into oncoming traffic.

The simple thing is to just run a single 200 watt setup. A little more complicated would be to run the 2 50 watters on one coil and everything else on the other.

Thanks for the post!