wr450

Way too big for me. I rode it in the trails with my daughter this for the first time. Way too big of bike for me. The power is just too much. I have a ttr250 that is more my style. Thinking about getting rid of the beast, but i might give it one more chance.

• Like 1

Way to big for me. I rode it in the trails with my daughter this for the first time. Way to big of bike for me. The power is just to much. I have a ttr250 that is more my style. Thinking about getting rid of the beast, but i might give it one more chance.

you sound like me a couple of years ago.

try corking it back up. Keep the stock pipe on. It will be much more tame.

Then when you get used to it, you'll be looking for more.

Same with me. I rode trails today for the first time ever. New to bikes period and love riding my 450 in the open.

BUT, laid it down big time today on a trail and hurt my leg pretty bad. Made me pay...

Going to keep it, I just dont like trails. I cant imagine liking them even on a 250. Am I wrong?

I dunno, I just started riding last month. Used to ride 20 years ago as a kid. Been riding sport bikes for the last 10, and have been riding mountain bikes & road bicycles my entire life. Decided on a WR450 since I'm not small. 6' and 250-270lbs. I know myself, and I can never have too much power on anything.

For the last month I've been out 5 times and always in the woods on lots of single track, quad trails, jeep trails and access/logging roads. I LOVE this bike on the single track. More so than the logging roads. I find it easy to maneuver around trees and rocks no problem. Today we were in a really tight section where we had to literally squeeze the bars between trees, and there wasn't any thing I couldn't deal with.

I finally de-restricted it yesterday and went out today, and what a difference! I was having huge issues getting the front tire up & over things prior, but now with all the YZ jetting, timing, air box & exhaust mods, it just pops off the ground right away with a bit of judicious throttle. Makes it so much easier climbing tall root ladders and popping over trees.

I really don't like mine for the true trails either. I'm talking about the kind where you can only go in first maybe second gear with all kinds of switch backs and super tight slow stuff. Reason is too tall and too stiff of suspension. Riding with a heavy back pack is a pain. If I was going to do hiking type mountain trails only it would be an older XR250 or something similar. My XR400 was the same for tight mountain trails as my WR. Not selling it because I like bike a lot. If they made a XR or TTR with a WR motor I'm all over it.

The 450 can be a handful in tight technical stuff where you ride only in 1st and 2nd gear. If you ride woods alot you might want to consider an auto clutch like Rekluse E-start or Pro. I just put the Pro on my 450 and I love it in tight nasty stuff. Just hang on to the bike and you'll get used to the power, and even sooner than you think you'll want more.

• Like 1

I take my WR450 in some gnarly trails. I'm coming of a xr250 here so I got accustom to the power after 2 rides and I LOVE it. I can go flying down tight trails no problem, I've only laid down the bike 1x and that was when the rear slid out. I think if I can do it you can do it, I can take most tight trails 2nd / 3rd gear. These aren't 4 wheel trails, I'm talking 1 foot wide or less in the forest. Give it some time and you will get accustomed with the bike.

I bought a 07 WR450 about a month ago. I love it! Handles so much better than my TTR250. My kids and I ride alot of tight trail in the woods here in Oregon. The TTR250 handled like a tank, the 450 just whips around the trees. There's no other place I would rather ride than in the woods. Just take it easy and have fun.

I take my WR450 in some gnarly trails. I'm coming of a xr250 here so I got accustom to the power after 2 rides and I LOVE it. I can go flying down tight trails no problem, I've only laid down the bike 1x and that was when the rear slid out. I think if I can do it you can do it, I can take most tight trails 2nd / 3rd gear. These aren't 4 wheel trails, I'm talking 1 foot wide or less in the forest. Give it some time and you will get accustomed with the bike.

I dont think you are talking about the same trails as some of the others on this thread, if you are taking them in 2nd and 3rd gear. I am riding my 450 on some enduros and hare scrambles and some of these have me clutching in 1st. I am pretty sure I would be faster (and would tip over less) in this really tight stuff on my wife's TTR230 with a lower seat and softer suspension, but once the trail opens up a bit, I really enjoy the power of the 450. Smaller and lighter seems to have a big advantage in the tight stuff. Most of the top riders locally are running 200-250 2 smokers.

Paul

I love the desert trails here in So AZ, my 450 handles them well, but it can be a work-out, 3rd gear trails are rare for me because I like the tight, steep jeep trails, my WR's a tracktor in 2nd......where else would you want to ride yor WR?

I dunno, I can get cooking pretty good in the tight stuff, I take 2nd in the tight and 3rd on straights and open. With the low end power on the 450 i can take it down to stalling speed on hair-pen turns and get back up to 20+ in seconds. On my xr250 I could never go that fast and I was forced to change gears lol. ?

What you want is a YZ250 2 stroke with a flywheel weight and revalved suspension. It will blow your mind how much better it handles in the tight stuff than that WR450.

He said the power was way to much, now your trying to kill the man? ?

I'm 5'-8" weigh 155lbs I love my wr450. Yes it could be lighter but it's not. The power is always there and I don't find myself revving all the time for more power. It's a work out but it keeps me in shape. Oh yeah, does anyone have a picture of someone who's arms were ripped off from their 450? I haven't experienced that!?