HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
savannadan

How long to leave choke on at startup?

19 posts in this topic

Will I hurt anything by idleing on half-choke,for say 5 mins. or more,till it warms up and stops sputtering?Bike is still stock 04' xrl.Owner's manual says excessive use of choke is BAD!! What is the forum's thoughts?What is excessive use?Also,should I turn the fuel petcock off after riding?Any and all info appreciated..:thumbsup:

Thanks,Daniel

Will I hurt anything by idleing on half-choke,for say 5 mins. or more,till it warms up and stops sputtering?Bike is still stock 04' xrl.Owner's manual says excessive use of choke is BAD!! What is the forum's thoughts?What is excessive use?Also,should I turn the fuel petcock off after riding?Any and all info appreciated..:thumbsup:

Thanks,Daniel

My belief is to turn off the choke on any motor as soon as you can. I have always lived in warm climates, so the choke goes off at start up most times...:thumbsup:

This depends on the carb. Some "chokes" are in fact enricheners. An xr600r with standard carb (true choke, 62-68 pilot jet) will run chokeless in a 2-3 minutes. The same bike with a FCR 41 (enrichener choke, 42 pilot jet) takes 8-10 minutes of warmup. As a rule, the larger the pilot jet the less warm up time to no choke. My 2ct.

AFAIK, you should turn the choke off as soon as the bike will allow it. The richness caused by choking it can be bad for the engine because of cylinder washing. Basically, a way too rich mixture can "wash" the oil film from the cylinder walls. Sounds strange but it is a genuine phenomenon. I hear about cylinder washing most often in reference to piston aircraft engines (since they have pilot operated a/f mixture control via a knob in the cockpit).

On cold start...I can typically HEAR the engine change it's tune...I take the choke off then. Typically about 10-15 seconds.

Will I hurt anything by idleing on half-choke,for say 5 mins. or more,till it warms up and stops sputtering?Bike is still stock 04' xrl.Owner's manual says excessive use of choke is BAD!! What is the forum's thoughts?What is excessive use?Also,should I turn the fuel petcock off after riding?Any and all info appreciated..:confused:

Thanks,Daniel

You should only turn the gas off when your done riding for the day. i leave it on when im just taking a brake or eating lunch.

This depends on the carb. Some "chokes" are in fact enricheners. An xr600r with standard carb (true choke, 62-68 pilot jet) will run chokeless in a 2-3 minutes. The same bike with a FCR 41 (enrichener choke, 42 pilot jet) takes 8-10 minutes of warmup. As a rule, the larger the pilot jet the less warm up time to no choke. My 2ct.

8-10 minutes to warm up LMAO were talking 650s they dont take 10 minutes to warm up unless your on the north pole. Mine stays on for no more than 30 seconds in winter and prolly 10 in summer.

Will I hurt anything by idleing on half-choke,for say 5 mins. or more,till it warms up and stops sputtering?Bike is still stock 04' xrl.Owner's manual says excessive use of choke is BAD!! What is the forum's thoughts?What is excessive use?Also,should I turn the fuel petcock off after riding?Any and all info appreciated..:confused:

Thanks,Daniel

if it is still stock - it is lean and requires alotta choke cold. Once uncorked I now take mine off choke almost immediately after start and it just sits there and idles while I get my gear on.

I live near the North Pole, and I choke mine for about 10 minutes before it's warmed up (mind you it's only about 1/4 choke, not full). I start the bike with full choke and then within about 2 minutes turn it to about 1/2, jump on it and start riding, and then within 5 minutes I turn it back to about 1/4 choke. By the time I get to the parking lot at work (about 8 to 10 minutes) I turn the choke off. If I turn it off any sooner it sputters and stalls.

I really need to get around to installing my Edelbrock. :blush:

The NORTH POLE :crazy:

One word comes to mind, well two .........

SNOW/COLD .

Got any geat NP pic's for us to view?

I live near the North Pole, and I choke mine for about 10 minutes before it's warmed up (mind you it's only about 1/4 choke, not full). I start the bike with full choke and then within about 2 minutes turn it to about 1/2, jump on it and start riding, and then within 5 minutes I turn it back to about 1/4 choke. By the time I get to the parking lot at work (about 8 to 10 minutes) I turn the choke off. If I turn it off any sooner it sputters and stalls.

I really need to get around to installing my Edelbrock. :blush:

wow, what you do up there?

wow, what you do up there?

I work as a Tester/Analyzer for a Northern Telecom company. We've only got around 110.000 customers but our coverage area is HUGE (it's nearly four million square kilometres).

The NORTH POLE

One word comes to mind, well two .........

SNOW/COLD .

Got any geat NP pic's for us to view?

Yessir, you can see some on my website here. The main page has a pic taken June 21st at midnight showing how it's still light out (that's why they call it "the land of the midnight sun").