HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HotRod35

oil cooler ?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all I have a 2007 xr650l it has about 1005 miles on it my ? is is an oil cooler a must have thing or not? And will i hurt this bike being as it is aircooled by rideing say 30-70 mile trips on the highway with it? just looking for a bit of info any and all would be nice. Thanks for everyones time also. And also I better add that I have rejeted it with a Dyno jet kit runing the 160 main jet. I did here that rejeting would help it run cooler.

Hi all I have a 2007 xr650l it has about 1005 miles on it my ? is is an oil cooler a must have thing or not? And will i hurt this bike being as it is aircooled by rideing say 30-70 mile trips on the highway with it? just looking for a bit of info any and all would be nice. Thanks for everyones time also. And also I better add that I have rejeted it with a Dyno jet kit runing the 160 main jet. I did here that rejeting would help it run cooler.

Oh and I better add this to my post also I have rejeted my bike with a dyno jet kit runing the 160 mainjet I have heard and was told that rejeting would help it to run cooler also.

I don't think that highway trips are a problem. there are lots of guys that use these bikes for touring.

I would keep the "Wings" on for the freeway trips, especially if you like to go over 70 MPH.

I did one 500 mile trip, and notices that there is a drastic difference in fuel economy between 55mph and 60mph DRASTIC!!!!

Enjoy your bike.

XR400 oil cooler that mounts around headset Do a search on yahoo or whatever and youll prolly see something about it from SBC i would give you a link but i dont have it myself anymore. There are some other threads on here with pics you can search for that also. I wanna put one on myself someday soon.

An oil cooler is more important in the slow going. On the highway there is plenty of air to cool the engine. It's the technical first gear single track or sand that will over heat the engine.

I wouldnt say on the highway that it doesnt make it run cooler, it does depend what climate your in. I dont like mine going over 250 when im rolling on the freeway so first i would suggest a temp dipstick and see where your at when your running, then go from there to decide if you want/need a cooler. I know for a fact last week when it was 117 at work that my bike would have over heated on the freeway even with stock shrouds on so it does depend a bit on the driving circumstances

I have no problems (no wings) exh, fcr pumper, 500 mile trips. i run 260-270 and feel it is safe. this is with me(230 pounds), my gear(20 pounds) at 70-75 all day long!:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice guys. I talked to a buddy about adding an oil cooler on my bike he said he had a complet oil cooler off of an old 350x threewheler he parted out he would give me he said it was about 3x5 in size I just need to go get it then figure out how I won't our need to mount it I figure it would do the trick. Sound like a good cooler or not anyone advice welcome?

I have oil temp dipsticks on my 400 and my 650. (XR's Only) The 650 runs at 250degs and the 400 rarely gets above 200degs due to the stock oil cooler. There is plenty of room to put an oil cooler on the 650L so why Honda didn't incorperate one into the design I don't know.:rant: The kit should work though.

Rman....

If anyone is wondering about the acuracy of the dipsticks, I switched them one time (they are different lengths) to see what they read and it's the same once the oil starts moving. 400 200degs/ 650 250degs.:blah: :blah: :busted: