XR650r USD conversion

Hi, Just wondering if you guys have done any up side down front end conversion besides using CRF450 or early CR forks. I can get 2004 model CRF forks at a good price and am pretty sure thats the way I will go. Im not worried about tripple clamps as I can machine my own so I can use any model front end.

Forgot to mention I rode a 2007 model Husky TE510 and was very impressed with the forks on it. Should I stick to honda components or try other.

I switched to USD on my XR650r a little less than a year ago. I'm very happy with the switch.

mine were off a 01' cr 250, had them resprung and valved for my weight and riding style.

front end seems more planted and takes the big g-outs and jumps very well.

I did loose a little plushness but nothing that I can say effects my riding.

good mod if you have the money and time.

Hi, Just wondering if you guys have done any up side down front end conversion besides using CRF450 or early CR forks. I can get 2004 model CRF forks at a good price and am pretty sure thats the way I will go. Im not worried about tripple clamps as I can machine my own so I can use any model front end.

coil cab

I run 05 450R forks on my 2000 model XR600. Great addition to the bike. They will work great on your 650R as well.

IMG_4093.jpg

I also bought new 450R 2006 triples - with stem.

I learnt that it's better to machine down the CRF stem that it is to use the XR stem.

Ps if you need a spare set of CRF triples I have some - I rordred 2 sets for some reason!!

I have a USD conversion on my XR6 as well. The 450 setup has the great twin chamber Showa forks. I used the TC (twin chamber) for a short while and decided to change to the Kayaba forks which suited my riding style better. I could have had the Showas revalved and replaced the springs which is a fair chunk of change. I am very happy with the KYBs. If you ride a lot of big whoops the Showa TCs are the way to go. I had an ATK with WP's and they were perfect, could not have asked for a better ride both on and off road. WPs and Ohlins are the ticket, but very pricey.

I have just got a set of FG9910 forks off a Cannondale.

I am struggling with the Offset i should use as i don't want to have to much head shake but i still want to have it turn quickly...

the options i seem to have are

1) modifying CRF clamps

2) emigracing do a triple clamp conversion

3) have a local shop mill clamps that are whatever i want ( but i don't know what that is yet ?? )

emigracing do a triple clamp conversion

I emailed them and got a response ....

"The steering offset will be 24mm and is not at all comparable to the XR650. With its conventional forks, you would not be comparing apples to apples at all, per say.Usually the conventionals have an offset around 13 or 14mm, with that tiny fork. You are totally changing that when you go to an USD fork.

I wouldn't think that the bike turning slowly would be a problem at all with this conversion, this is an overwhelmingly positive change."

clamp link > http://www.emigracing.com/CRXR650.htm

and advice greatly appreciated

sam

I posted my upgrade a few times on this forum.

After the respring and revalve by Dave Lampman (full circle cycle). I can honestly say.. I'm 100% happy with the handling of the bike and the way it soaks up the big hits with the USD fork conversion.

I ride mostly out in west texas or DS the bike here in the texas hill country.. I'll ride it a few times in the tight woods (yes with the 6 gallon tank).

I even took the bike out to Austin Del Valley MX track and road about 20 laps on it with the small tank. It was fun passing all the noobs on a plated xr650r on the track...

The forks just soak everything up.. much better than my raceteched/resprung conventional forks ever did.

yes the emig racing tripple clamp conversion is pricey.. but it's of excellent quality and made the conversion very easy..

Now if would could just get him the trash his stabilizer units and make his clamps fit the Scotts Stabilizer.. there would be no better combo on the market...