HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
resslera

The King of Torque?

7 posts in this topic

Good God! You don't realize how much power and torque the 650R has (properly tuned/uncorked) until yo ride it back to back against a CRF450. Don't get me wrong, a 650R won't hang with the 450 on the mx track and I'm not trying to say that. I wrode a CRF450 and it was a blast! But when I climbed back on my 650R and grabbed a writst full in 3rd gear, you realize how much of a difference there really is. I'm keeping the 650R until I can no longer kick it over!

Maybe so. But if I grab a wrist full of my 450 in third, with traction (say on pavement) with no assistance or letting off I'd be looped over on my ass quicker than you can say "power to weight ratio".

Not so much with a stock compression and cam 650R.

Maybe so. But if I grab a wrist full of my 450 in third, with traction (say on pavement) with no assistance or letting off I'd be looped over on my ass quicker than you can say "power to weight ratio".

Not so much with a stock compression and cam 650R.

CRF's to me make a different kind of power - they seem explosive at times like the old 2 smokes when the hit would come on the pipe and then at other times down low there is nothing. Kinda odd for a woods bike like the CRF250 and 450 X. Either that or I am too slow to appreciate the powerband. My lil XR250R seems to make power everywhere and is so easy to ride and so forgiving, just my humble opinion but he XR250R is one of the finest woods bike ever made. Even my XR650L is easier to ride power wise, albiet heavy as a tank in the woods.

You need to take into effect primary gear ratio and final gear ratio, along with to RPM. If you had the same total gear ratio on the XR650R (@44rwhp) the bike would be almost un-ridable, with a top speed of 72mph @ top rpm.

You need to take into effect primary gear ratio and final gear ratio, along with to RPM. If you had the same total gear ratio on the XR650R (@44rwhp) the bike would be almost un-ridable, with a top speed of 72mph @ top rpm.

Just curious, but why do you say the XR650R would be un-ridable with the same gear ratio?

"Almost un-ridable" becasue the gearing would be so low that first would be all but worthless....3rd would be real close to the same as first is stock. The primary gearing (crank to clutch drive gear) is lower on the CRF450R as is the counter shaft to rear sprocket but, the bike rev's a lot further and has less torque then the XR650R to make that setup work so well. My 680cc bike with 14/48 makes first gear not needed. It will just flip the bike, third brings the front tire up real quick at 55mph. Put 13/51 on a XR650R and that would be close to the same as the CRF450R. The bike would be all but worhtless for what it was made for. They are different bikes made for different uses but, there is a lot of room to change each to do close to the samething. I can jump my XR680R on the MX track but, I will never even come close to what a CRF450R can do but, I can stay close at times for a short while. You can make a CRF450R run the Baja 1000 but, it takes a lot of change and it is not close to the same CRF450R that came off the show room floor. Gearing is changed way far from stock to get 110mph as is the whole engine.

My 680cc bike feels a little like a 650cc bike with 15/47 gearing but, I can go 20mph faster. If you geared the XR650R to the same total gearing to the rear wheel as the CRF450R the bike would be way to jumpy and not much use for serious racing. I would like to go faster then 70 mph also. Remember the XR650R hit the rev limiter at 8200 rpm not 13,100! The XR650R makes most of it's horsepower at 6,200 rpm not 9,000 like the CRF450R and that is the reason the XR650R can geared the way it is.

I agree with BWB63! You also have to consider the front end weight of the bike for total feel. I was riding a KTM 525 and it would wheelie up way easier than my 650R because there is less weight over the front. Also, my 650R has a 4.6 gallon tank which keeps the front down. I know the 450R is lighter and the KTM 525 and that should translate into monster wheelies when on the gas.

I had a RC-51. With stock gearing, the bike would only power wheelie in 1st and 2nd. It was made to feel stable so you can juice the throttle in the corner versus on the exit only. The overall feeling was that the bike was slowe while it was actually just tame and smooth.