HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DualSport650

Edelbrock Issues - Weird Low Idle

5 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I'm having an issue with my Edelbrock Carburetor and need some advice.

First of all, I LOVE this carb. It's performs great. :thumbsup:

I installed it about 2 years ago and it ROCKS -- except for 1 issue.

Here's the problem...

When I let off the throttle when I'm coming to a stop or coming into a corner it idles REALLY REALLY LOW.

So low that if I grab the throttle, my bike stalls. Or even if I don't grab the throttle, it just idles too low and dies. It drives me NUTS!!!

When I turn up the idle adjuster knob it still idles too low about 75% of the time. The other 25% it idles way to high. :busted:

Everything looks OK. The cables seen to be free of slack or stickyness, etc.

Yet, I have low idle issues.

&%$#@!?

Anybody know how to fix this??? :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had problems with inconsistent idle with two older non-pumper Edelbrocks, the slides were hanging up and and would stop at different positions when the throttle was chopped. Sometimes the idle would be too fast, sometimes too slow causing stalling. Both problems were cured with improved design slides from Edelbrock. Don't know if this is you problem, but might be worth considering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a little too rich? Sounds like what my bike does sometimes when I do a big change in elevation, runs great, but when I come to a stop it sounds like it's going to die, give it a little throttle and it does. Try 2 clicks to the left on the red knob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe a little too rich? Sounds like what my bike does sometimes when I do a big change in elevation, runs great, but when I come to a stop it sounds like it's going to die, give it a little throttle and it does. Try 2 clicks to the left on the red knob.

Thanks for the advice Creeky and Agent2.

I'll try the easy tweak of leaning it out a little - 2 clicks to left.

It is sucking gas a little more than I feel is normal.

Ride on! :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DualSport650 - one other thing it "might" be, the needle valve going into the float bowl tends to gum up causing it to stick. Once a year I take the pumper apart and give it a good cleaning. It's a long shot, but another possibility, let us know what you find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0