Air Filter??

Hey guys,

I have had my 93 XR650L for a short time now and would like to know what is the best way to clean the air filter and how often. I do almost all riding in the city and the occasional trail ride.

Thanks,

j-

The stuff that I just started using is the No Toil (cleaner & oil). It cleans the filter great and is water soluable which is very nice and easy to clean up after. As far as when to clean, that depends on the type of riding you are doing. With mostly city riding, I would probably check it once a month and go from there based on how dirty it is. If you throw in a trail here and there check it a little more often and adjust accordingly. There is really no set in stone rule on how often to clean it. I think in reality, most people (myself included) clean their air filter way more often than is probably really necessary...better safe than sorry though!

Good Luck!

Hey guys,

I have had my 93 XR650L for a short time now and would like to know what is the best way to clean the air filter and how often. I do almost all riding in the city and the occasional trail ride.

Thanks,

j-

what kind of filter do you have?

what kind of filter do you have?

......was going to ask the same thing because I think stock wise, they all have paper elements don't they?

If true, once they are dirty you chuck them and buy new.

......was going to ask the same thing because I think stock wise, they all have paper elements don't they?

If true, once they are dirty you chuck them and buy new.

ya stock is a paper filter.

Yea, it's a paper filter. So you think just toss it or clean it? The ones I see online are like $30. Sound about right?

Clean it when it gets a little dirty, its pretty easy to take the side off and check it only about 10 seconds to get off and check. get a uni filter there good

Yea, it's a paper filter. So you think just toss it or clean it? The ones I see online are like $30. Sound about right?

kinda hard to thouroughly clean a paper filter. you can use light compressed air from the inside blowing out though. 1+ on the uni.

Sent you a PM, if ya want to see real good pictures of the Uni .........

Forget it, found the "problem"

got the filter here ....... https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/mainframe2.aspx?content=

DSC04524.jpg

DSC04523.jpg

DSC04522.jpg

th_100_7586.jpg

i thought this is what an airbox looks like!!!:thumbsup:

th_100_7586.jpg

i thought this is what an airbox looks like!!!:lol:

So YOUR the one that did that! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Where the heck is the air filter then ? :busted:

I suppose you don't use one :lol:

AND the battery ??? :bonk::cheers::lol:

th_100_7584-1.jpg

th_100_7588-1.jpg

the battery is under the cdi. left of the fuse block. you can see the uni pod filter in off the back of the carb.

th_100_7584-1.jpg

th_100_7588-1.jpg

the battery is under the cdi. left of the fuse block. you can see the uni pod filter in off the back of the carb.

:thumbsup: KOOL!

......next question, WHY? For more centralized weight ? Save any weight?

Do you run a smaller battery then?

Is that YOUR idea ?

:thumbsup: Is the intake noise real loud now ?

yes lighter and more centered weight in the bike.handles like a diff. bike!

stock batt. looking at a crf450x batt. 2 pounds lighter.

not my idea, i just improved upon anothers idea.

you can hear a little "chirping"while cruising.

very glad i did this mod!