XT500; Sorry, don't know where else to post?

My daily ride is an XT500, 1977 model. Talk about your original Thumper!

Anyway, I have a very loud ticking/tapping sound coming from the head while she's running. It's RPM specific, i.e., when the RPM's increase so does the frequency of the tapping.

I have adjusted the valves, they were fine. What I did determine was that if I pull the de-compressor lever in slightly, the sound goes away. But anymore than a slight pull and the bike immediately loses power and wants to die.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

We get this resolved and I'll ask about a cold engine miss/hesitation...Thanks!:thumbsup:

The "vintage" forum has lots of XT info I'm sure someone could help you... But from what you describe it sounds like the valve your decompressor actuates is the one out of adjustment ...I'd recheck that one ..

yeah dude try the vintage forum. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, didn't see that one (vintage forum)...I'll give it a try!

Try the decomp adjuster?

Jesse

Thanks Crooks, I have it adjusted pretty tight right now, I could probably go a bit tighter. I'm surprised it isn't really covered in the manual? One of the replies I got on the vintage forum said I may have a cam/lifter prob. I hope not at only 14K on the odo. She is 30 yrs old though!

Try the decomp adjuster?

Jesse

yes they are all right. decomp

Thanks Crooks, I have it adjusted pretty tight right now, I could probably go a bit tighter. I'm surprised it isn't really covered in the manual? One of the replies I got on the vintage forum said I may have a cam/lifter prob. I hope not at only 14K on the odo. She is 30 yrs old though!

at 14k and 30 years old, hmmm something wrong here........ is the odo resetable?

It has a resetable trip meter, the miles appear to be original. When I bought the bike it was pretty rough but mostly original. I even found the original registration in the hidden registration compartment. First registered owner was a female...hard to imagine a gal wandering into the Yamaha dealer and riding out on one of these!

wow, i wonder if she reset it? do you know if it was trail ridden?

It sounds like the exhaust valve clearance is loose. When you pull the decomp it takes up the slack because you are slightly opening the valve. Make sure there is no tension on the decomp cable so it doesn't give you a false reading.

Thanks very much msg, that's good advice. I'm going to check those clearances again.

Truthfully, I've had better advice and responses in this forum than on my simular post on the Vintage forum. Thanks guys! ;-)