Oil coming from neutral sensor

First of all, I don't think the piece I'm referring to is actually called the neutral sensor, but I'm at work and can't remeber the actual name...

It appears I may be leaking a touch of oil from behind the black plastic piece that screws in below the counter sprocket. I believe it is the gear sensor or something like that. It has the copper circles on the underside.

Actually, I noticed this when I was changing out the gasket behind my counter sprocket last night. I'm hoping that trace amounts of oil were simply leaking out from behind the sprocket and only appear to be coming from the sensor.

I did notice though that there was oil behind the sensor when I unscrewed it. Is this normal?

Thanks! ?

------------------

99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Uni filter,E-Series pipe,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,lights removed,YZ tank,13 tooth sprocket

Originally posted by Scott:

I did notice though that there was oil behind the sensor when I unscrewed it. Is this normal?

Yes. The shift drum sits behind the sensor so with the sensor off the cases are partially exposed. Be careful with the pin that actuates the sensor. It may fall out when the sensor is removed. There is a small spring behind the mushroom shaped pin. If you cannot get the pin back in its hole try putting the tranny in a higher gear. The pin makes contact with different copper circles you saw depending on what gear you’re in. If you notice there should be 6 circles (for an ’00 anyway).

I think it is called a gear position sensor for the ’00 model year, earlier versions I think only served to lower the rev limit when in neutral while the ’00s alter timing based on every gear position (not just neutral).

There is an o-ring on the back of the sensor to seal it.

Oh, I just noticed you have a '99 (DUH!). I will assume the pin and spring are still there but there is only one copper circle to indicate neutral?

I'm curious if the '99 sensor is the same as the '00, I thought '99 and older only indicated neutral...

[This message has been edited by Hick (edited 10-18-2000).]

Ya know, I was expecting it to only have one copper sensor too, but it did have 6. I made sure that I didn't loose that pin! I'm thinking that if oil IS leaking from there, I can just replace the o-ring.

------------------

99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Uni filter,E-Series pipe,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,lights removed,YZ tank,13 tooth sprocket

That does nothing on US bikes... follow the wires they don't even plug into anything if I remember right. Yank the whole thing along with its harness and replace it with a nice blue anodized block-off plate made by Ty Davis. It's called a nuetral switch block-off and you can get it from TerryCable or Stroker. I think it was only like $15 and cheap insurance because rocks can get jammed up in there and bust the plastic switch and then you lose your oil 100 miles from home.

------------------

The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg

On two wheels (or 3) since 1970

'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)

'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!

Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

The switch is to limit how far the bike will rev in neutral for the sound tests. (Europe method)

Remove or disconnect it and you bike will rev further in neutral.. but no furtheer than the 11.5krpm redline.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.