Mud flap on XR - trash it?

I just put a fresh D606 on the back and when the tire flexes it rubs on the plastic flap in front of the tire. Do you guys just pitch this part? I can see the value in protecting the shock from rocks/mud, but I dont like the tire scuffing on it...tires wear too fast as it is.

Any alternative solutions out there?

:thumbsup:

Depending on where your chain adjusters are set now, you could put a couple extra links in the chain to move the wheel back a little and get more clearance. Some people might say an extra master link will increase the possibility of chain problems but I think it would be fine. Or you could just ride it with the rub and you'll get some clearance after some tire wear so it won't rub (as much). But there should be a minimal amount of clearance between the tire and the swingarm (1/2 inch or so?), so that if the tire picks up a rock, it won't gouge the swingarm or the tire. Hope this helps, good luck and have fun. :thumbsup:

you may but all the mud dirt rocks slinging forward onto the shock may not be good.

That's not going to wear your tire. But taking it off will surely beat up a pretty expensive shock. Get a black one so you won't see the tire marks.

I found it tends to blow back at high speed and hit the tire regardless of how far back the wheel is. I wouldn't specifically change wheelbase and/or gearing for it.

I just put a fresh D606 on the back and when the tire flexes it rubs on the plastic flap in front of the tire. Do you guys just pitch this part? I can see the value in protecting the shock from rocks/mud, but I dont like the tire scuffing on it...tires wear too fast as it is.

Any alternative solutions out there?

:thumbsup:

Mine has gotten pretty thrashed from larger tires. I have removed it on my last two bikes and covered the back half of the shock springs with an inner tube cut in half. My original worry was that it would trap heat, but I have not noticed any problem with that and the shock is well protected top to bottom. You can also buy those shock socks for the same purpose, but I don't think those let much air to the shock.

I would not take it off. In fact I just bought a new one from Service honda this week. You definitely do not want to sandblast your swing arm, shock, and shock linkage with rocks, sand, gravel and other trash. That starts to look nasty and cost you money when you damage your components.

I'm going to try and zip tie the new one forward, away from the tire. I'm running Maxxis IT 120/100 tires which are huge.

I moved the mud flap forward and put on a shock sox.

DSC02107.jpg

While I am at it might as well show off my street tires and Vapor.

DSC02110.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

you like that Vapor? Did it cost you like 160 for all (bracket and head unit?) Were you able to link up the temp gauge option for the vapor?