Good source for a Scotts SS filter?

I'd like to pick one up but $60 is a lot to spend on an oil filter. Are there any websites that sell them cheaper, or is there another brand that's comparable to Scotts quality?

You will hear opinions to the contrary, but the copy cats are flatly not at the same quality level as the Scotts. $60 does seem like a lot when you pay it out up front, but you will NEVER need another oil filter for your YZF, or for the next one, unless the next one is an '09, and the filters are suddenly different. Add that up over two or three year's time. Buy it at the TT Store.

You will hear opinions to the contrary, but the copy cats are flatly not at the same quality level as the Scotts. $60 does seem like a lot when you pay it out up front, but you will NEVER need another oil filter for your YZF, or for the next one, unless the next one is an '09, and the filters are suddenly different. Add that up over two or three year's time. Buy it at the TT Store.

Yeah, I had one on my YZ250F, I should have kept it instead of selling the bike with it still in there. I know that it'll pay for its self, but I ride on a small budget right now, so if I can save a buck I will. Scotts is defintely top quality, the I don't know if the Ready Flow SS filter is comparable, but I trusy Scotts.

Even if the stainless mesh comes from the same vendor that Scotts uses, questions arise:

Do they use the same amount of mesh in each filter as Scotts? The Scotts has nearly twice the amount of filter media folded into it as the OEM bronze mesh filter has.

Is the seam where the two ends of the media meet folded over and welded like the Scotts, or just folded?

What are the ends bonded to the media with?

What is the quality of the parts used in the bypass valve?

Scotts publishes the answers to all of these questions. The others often only say that they are "just like" the Scotts. You decide.

I'm not familiar with the Pit Posse filters, but I have seen reports of both CRT and Ready filters falling apart one way or other. I have a Scotts that's 4 years old now.

Don't skimp on a filter or a nock off version!!

Even if the stainless mesh comes from the same vendor that Scotts uses, questions arise:

Do they use the same amount of mesh in each filter as Scotts? The Scotts has nearly twice the amount of filter media folded into it as the OEM bronze mesh filter has.

Is the seam where the two ends of the media meet folded over and welded like the Scotts, or just folded?

What are the ends bonded to the media with?

What is the quality of the parts used in the bypass valve?

Scotts publishes the answers to all of these questions. The others often only say that they are "just like" the Scotts. You decide.

I'm not familiar with the Pit Posse filters, but I have seen reports of both CRT and Ready filters falling apart one way or other. I have a Scotts that's 4 years old now.

I have a Ready Racing SS filter in my 06 and put it in before I ever fired my bike up when I bought it new. My bike now......has 35.5 hours on it and the filter is still intact:bonk: and does a fine job in collecting metal shavings. Mine seems to be well constructed and all the seams are tight and I believe if someone is looking for a cheaper SS reuseable filter........with my experience with the RR it would be a good choice IMO:thumbsup:

Get the Scotts from the TT store, they will beat any advertised price by 10% and with the Scotts you know you are getting a quality filter.

I have a Ready Racing SS filter in my 06 ... My bike now has 35.5 hours on it and the filter is still intact:bonk:
My '03 has well over 6 times that much time on it. Let's compare notes when you catch up.

As I recall, the cover that came with this high precision piece was so well made that it leaked constantly, and had to be removed.