Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dickie

Do I need rings?

16 posts in this topic

It seems that my '92 XR600 is using a bit more oil than I would like. It seems to be using approx 1/2 quart every 300 miles or so. Do I need rings? If so, how much should I expect to pay to have it done? How hard is it to do myself?

-thanks

It seems that my '92 XR600 is using a bit more oil than I would like. It seems to be using approx 1/2 quart every 300 miles or so. Do I need rings? If so, how much should I expect to pay to have it done? How hard is it to do myself?

-thanks

does it smoke? and if it does is it just on start up or all the time? how many miles? if its just on start up, you can get away with a valve stem seal job. easy to do, get a valve spring compressor and you dont even need to pull the engine. if it smokes all the time, well then time for a top end job.

Thanks for the response,

I really don't notice much smoke, when I really give it some throttle I see a little small puff out the back. How much is a top end job roughly?

Just replacing the rings only makes sense if you are going to do the assembly/disassembly work yourself. The labor cost for a shop to do the work is high enough that you should get a new piston too.

When it is apart have the head/valves looked at too. They might need some attention as well.

If you do it yourself it will be a little over $100 for rings and gaskets. It really depends on what is found when the engine is apart. However, I'd guess that shop work will run you $500 or more.

Valve stem seals may be wearing out too. If you run the bikes at higher RPM, they can go through oil quicker.

Yes, I have been riding on the street a lot lately, usually more than 50 MPH, do these use that much oil at that RPM? It has a sprocket made for higher speeds, but I haven't put the cooler plug in, I have the stock plug-not the long distance riding plug...could that help?

Mine was drinking a lot more oil than yours before I put in new rings. I had to add oil after every ride. I was blowing so much oil out the crankcase breather that a puddle would form everywhere I stopped, and this was trail riding, not road riding. Bike still ran OK when I tore her down. Ran much better after new rings.

I second the notion on the valve guide seals. I replaced mine a while back because of a little smoke on start-up, and on deceleration as well. Once I replaced the seals, all of that went away.

thanks for the advise, how much should I expect to pay for valve guide seals?

I'm rebuilding a 94' XR 600 for a friend. The bike was smoking and going through a lot of oil. I took the motor down to the cases.

Funny thing. The cylinder bore and piston measure within service limits. The ring gaps were beyond the limits. There was no blow by on the piston. The top of the piston had very little carbon build up.

The valve springs are beyond service limits to the point where the exhaust valves look like they weren't closing properly.

I think the oil was passing by the exhaust guide seals and going straight into the headers.

I'm rebuilding a 94' XR 600 for a friend. The bike was smoking and going through a lot of oil. I took the motor down to the cases.

Funny thing. The cylinder bore and piston measure within service limits. The ring gaps were beyond the limits. There was no blow by on the piston. The top of the piston had very little carbon build up.

The valve springs are beyond service limits to the point where the exhaust valves look like they weren't closing properly.

I think the oil was passing by the exhaust guide seals and going straight into the headers.

could be, can you find any oil in the exhaust?

how many miles on this engine?

This was what I found as well. I didn't measure the ring end gap. When I put the ring in the bore the gap was huge, like .150 or more. I was amazed to find the bore and piston measuring as almost new. A hone and new rings reduced the oil consumption back to normal.

The motor has a lot of miles on it. My friend does a lot of street riding with it.

The headers have a thick coat of carbon. It all sort of adds up, to leaky guide seals.

I'm putting new rings, the valves and guides are being checked to see if they are within service limits. If they are good then a fresh grind, new springs, and seals.

Motor should be good to go for another 15 years.

This was what I found as well. I didn't measure the ring end gap. When I put the ring in the bore the gap was huge, like .150 or more. I was amazed to find the bore and piston measuring as almost new. A hone and new rings reduced the oil consumption back to normal.

The end gaps were .005" over the limit. I'm going to put new rings, and light hone.

Thanks for the note. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this type of wear.

:thumbsup:

I have a '94 and I live in Northern California? Will you be my friend? :thumbsup:

how does one look for oil in exhaust? I can't see anything on the rings of my supertrap but I know I am burning some.