ATK bike shoe

Been using one now for about a year. Works great! It will hold the bike without any tie downs and makes loading/unloading simple.For extra insurance (because I'm the anal type) I run a nylon strap with fast clip around the front wheel and shoe; if all else fails the bike won't fall off the back of the truck. Ps; everybody that sees it in use lovesw it and wants one.

Been using them for the last 10 years. Will NEVER go back to tie downs. However, the first one I bought was aluminum. It bent when the trailer wheel went over a curb. The weight of the bike was enough to allow enough momentum in the swing to bend it over. They replaced it with a steel one. It is strong. Have two of them Still have an old aluminum one, but I always make sure my buddies get to use it. hehe.

I ride with one guy who used them for a year and then quit..... because so many people went driving by waving at him to let him know something was wrong because they thought the tiedowns had come off... so he quit using them.... the bikes ride higher and wiggle around more, and people freak. He got tired of stopping to look at what was wrong.... and nothing was.

The only problem with using one and not tying it down too is when the trailor rocks back and forth and geos over bumps the bike also sways back and forth. After this goes on for several miles your looking at replacing your front wheel bearing on a regular basis.

------------------

Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

I don't know about the wheel bearings, but it has to place a load on the spokes. The solution to prevent the rocking is to lightly attach tiedowns in the usual way. This may seem redundant, but I do it that way.

BTW, I have an extra bike shoe for sale.

I just ordered one.

It's gotta make putting the bike away easy and getting ready to ride quick! I'll probably use a tiedown on my rear wheel so the bike doesn't flop around. That's much simpler that all the strap nonsense I do now. . .

------------------

'00 WR, YZ modified and dodgin' Roadrunners and P-dogs. .all with no damper!

Originally posted by zaknavage:

Major Warning! If your front tire goes flat it will walk right out of the shoe. A friend of mine had this happen in his enclosed trailer. He didn't find out until he opened the back door of the trailer and found the bike on the floor and a completely trashed interior.

Since I have hauled my bike on several occassions with a flat front, I'd guess that he didn't have the bike all the way forward. On those times I've done this the bike never moved at all.

I am now using 4 of these. Works great in an enclosed trailer if you are careful to make them tight but not too tight. They can probably put huge stress on a wheel. Mine are mounted to a piece of 3/4" plywood with carpet on the bottom. Plywood is just tied down to existing floor hooks.

Here is a homemade rack for the back of my pickup truck. It stops the front rail of the bed from colapsing against the cab and holds three bikes rock solid. I back the third bike in, so the middle tire slot is wider.

truck.jpg

This is the third truck I've used this in. It's made of 2" square tube, and with a miter box & welding machine, it's cheap and easy to make. Note the lugs on top for the tie-downs.

Works for me!

Originally posted by Scott F:

I don't know about the wheel bearings, but it has to place a load on the spokes. The solution to prevent the rocking is to lightly attach tiedowns in the usual way. This may seem redundant, but I do it that way.

BTW, I have an extra bike shoe for sale.

What does this thing look like, first time I hear of it 's excistanse!!!!!!!