XR650R Street Legal / Title advice

I am interested in buying a 2002 Honda XR650R converted to a dual sport. The bike looks really good. I have a question about the Title issued by the DMV. The bike has a California license plate, but the Title was issued as a Salvage Title (everything looked good). Was the title issued as a salvage title due to the street conversion? Will I have any problem transferring it? The bike had "all intake/exhaust restrictors removed"; Do I need to have a Smog certification? will it pass? Any help will be appreciated.

I am interested in buying a 2002 Honda XR650R converted to a dual sport. The bike looks really good. I have a question about the Title issued by the DMV. The bike has a California license plate, but the Title was issued as a Salvage Title (everything looked good). Was the title issued as a salvage title due to the street conversion? Will I have any problem transferring it? The bike had "all intake/exhaust restrictors removed"; Do I need to have a Smog certification? will it pass? Any help will be appreciated.

A salvaged title could mean several things (insurance claim possibly?) so I won't go there. Look on the title to be sure it was plated before the cutoff. (feb 04) If it already has a Ca. plate then there should be no problem registering it and no inspection. Just pay and ride. No smog.

:thumbsup:

i agree with DuleRule

Like said above, make sure it was plated before the cutoff, it dosent say on the title. Also you will need the bike for a VIN inspection when you go to register. If youre a AAA member you can do everything there. Just remember, when you go to register the bike in your name,, be VERY nice to the person you deal with. A little extra kindness towards them will do nothing but help your cause.

The Salvage Title may not be an issue.

I have heard of some states that will issue salvage title when there is a conversion done on the motorcycle.

So instead of a crash to get the salvage title it could of been the conversion.