HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twenty34

2008 YZ Tested & New Tires

14 posts in this topic

I believe that the new Bridgestone 403/404 combo will only be on the 250f as the 450 gets a 742? front and the 756 rear. It will be interesting to see how the new tires work as they are new. Supposedly the 403/404 combo will transfer better to hard pack than the 401/402 combo. This is according to a Bridgestone rep that I spoke with at the Seattle SX. By the way Rick how's the suspension treating you on the '07?

Hadn't heard much about the new Bridgestones, but they are standard on the 08.

http://racerxill.com/articles/detail/2144/racer-x-tested.aspx

Bridgestones ONLY on the 250! Dunlops on the 450. I am using a 404 rear on my 08 and its great. Seems to be wearing like iron also!!! i tried the larger 90/100/21 403 on the front and hated it. The bike was really hard to turn.

The 403 is an interesting tire. It looks a great deal like the M59, except that I notice knobs at the mid-edge that are cupped. This is a feature, normally, of tires designed for hard surfaces, whereas the M59 is a soft to intermediate tire. All this makes me think that it is an effort to broaden the effective range of the M59 into the intermediate-hard range without giving up any soft soil performance. I'd be quite interested in that myself, but in an 80/100, I think. I didn't care for the M401 I tried in a 90.

By the way, It looks to me like either the M59 or the 403 on Langston's bike at Glen Helen in this picture of the bottom of Grant's foot, taken by, I don't know, some guy with a disposable camera, I think :thumbsup: :

85350971.1OMM4O64.jpg

The 403 is an interesting tire. It looks a great deal like the M59, except that I notice knobs at the mid-edge that are cupped. This is a feature, normally, of tires designed for hard surfaces, whereas the M59 is a soft to intermediate tire. All this makes me think that it is an effort to broaden the effective range of the M59 into the intermediate-hard range without giving up any soft soil performance. I'd be quite interested in that myself, but in an 80/100, I think. I didn't care for the M401 I tried in a 90.

By the way, It looks to me like either the M59 or the 403 on Langston's bike at Glen Helen in this picture of the bottom of Grant's foot, taken by, I don't know, some guy with a disposable camera, I think :busted: :

Interesting thing about this thread. I started it before the new bike was purchased.

Regarding your assessment of this tire and its hard to soft terra-firma characteristics, I was just thinking the same thing when looking at the knobs/pattern. Kinda reminded me of a cross between the m22's and a 401.

RV anf GL definately run the Bridgestone 's, but I need to look at some other pics that I have to see which they are running. Just by looking at the tread, it sure looks close to the 401s.

I'm always a bit skeptical regarding tire claims that cover everything from mud to hard pack, so it'll be interesting to hear the ride reports on these new ones. :thumbsup:

One thing for sure, I'll be getting rid of the 742 FA any day now, and the rear 756 is halfway into its 4-5 ride useful life. :ride:

Take a look...I'd say a 401 or 401a....I don't think it's a 403:excuseme:

85350975.uY4CUQbb.D2H_7089b.jpg

I'm always a bit skeptical regarding tire claims that cover everything from mud to hard pack, so it'll be interesting to hear the ride reports on these new ones. :thumbsup:

One thing for sure, I'll be getting rid of the 742 FA any day now, and the rear 756 is halfway into its 4-5 ride useful life. :busted:

Take a look...I'd say a 401 or 401a....I don't think it's a 403:excuseme:

You should be skeptical. No tire can do it all. But working on broadening the effective soil type range is one of the things Dunlop and others have been doing lately. Quite successfully in some cases, and in others,....eh. :ride: The 739 was superseded by the 745, which works much better on intermediate soil than the 739, and is currently my favorite front for Southern SoCal. But I have more to try. As far as the 742FA, I was a bit disappointed in that tire overall, frankly, particularly on hard pack, and especially in sand.

And you know my "assessment" is just a guess based on looking at the thing and knowing what the industry has been working on.

I was looking at the 403:

bridgestone-m403.jpg

And the M59:

m59.jpg

I think you're right about it not being a 403. I have a 401a in the garage, and it doesn't look like that at all. To me it looks most like an M59. Note the single center blocks in the 401:

M401F.JPG

Great shots from GH, BTW. Did you ever notice the air ducts on #8 between the shrouds and radiators?

Great shots from GH, BTW. Did you ever notice the air ducts on #8 between the shrouds and radiators?

yhst-2483094475615_1976_3145543

RV anf GL definately run the Bridgestone 's, but I need to look at some other pics that I have to see which they are running. Just by looking at the tread, it sure looks close to the 401s.

From what I've heard the Bridgestones the public buy and what GL run are two different things.

The works tires are not available to the public and we wouldn't want them as some of them only last a moto or two. Having said that the testing and technology that goes into the works/prototype tires that the factories run does end up in new production tires such as the 403/404 combo.

yhst-2483094475615_1976_3145543

From what I've heard the Bridgestones the public buy and what GL run are two different things.

That's what I figured the shroud vents would do; dump cold air on the carb.

On the tires the team runs, sometimes that's true and sometimes that's not. It depends on where they are and what works there, but there are times when the factory is using tires that no one else can get.

The works tires are not available to the public and we wouldn't want them as some of them only last a moto or two.

Like the 756RR's...

Do you mean this air duct?

Yeah, that one.

It would be an even better idea in conjunction with some kind of baffling to direct the air flowing off the radiator down and away from where the cold air goes.

Yeah, that one.

It would be an even better idea in conjunction with some kind of baffling to direct the air flowing off the radiator down and away from where the cold air goes.

Not to say it's another one of those useless products, but when it's 110 degrees, I'm not sold this is gonna help much.

I know, I read the literature and saw the graph (over the length of a moto only), but for me, it wouldn't be tops on my list of aftermarket accessories.

There are much more effective ways to increase airflow, but they may not be practical given the environment and abuse these bikes take.

Yeah, the graphs and the hype and that was all very impressive (to look at), but I don't buy that it helps cool the engine at all, really. To me it seems like a good way to get some of the hot air out from below the tank and around the carb. At least the only parasitic draw it would have is on your wallet.