Proper way to oil XR650R unifilter

Just like HawkGT said, use some plastic gloves and squeeze the extra back into a funnel back into the bottle.

I use dish soap and clean the filter three times then use kerosene, gas or diesel to get the rest of the silt out. We have clean a filter seven times and still get a ton of dirt/silt out using gas. It distroies the filter faster but, I like a clean filter. The reason it is so hard to clean our filters is because we use Golden Spectro foam filter oil in the quart size blue bottle. It is water proof and real sticky nasty stuff, Bell Ray seems to be the same stuff (quart white bottle) just not as thick or as tacky. I have taken the bike all the way under water and the bike choked out before it sucked water to the carb. Just two drops inside the air box.

All the way through. Apply liberally with oil and squeeze out any excess. You can't squeeze out too much if you're just using your hands.

Like Hawk says, "SQUEEZE"....don't wring it, 'cause you could severely damage the filter. I like to use a gallon size plastic ziploc bag to put it in with some filter oil, then just work the oil in....doesn't get all that nasty sticky oil on your hands, or anywhere else for that matter!!

I've used No-Toil on UNIs without issue. It seemed like a fine filter oil. My favorite (out of what I've tried) is the Bel-Ray oil in an aerosol can. I've had issues with the UNI oil in a bottle running out of my filter when parked in a hot garage. Maybe it was just excess that I didn't get squeezed out? Not sure but I've not had that issue with other oils. The UNI oil in a bottle just never seemed especially tenacious to me. Bear in mind I live in the AZ desert--it'll probably be 115+ degrees in my garage today. I do like the UNI filter cleaner though.

• Like 1

WD 40 works great also for the final cleaning.

Cuts the tacky stuff without using solvents.

But it DOES use solvents. That's why you can use it to remove magic marker marks or bumper sticker residue. They are what evaporate away, leaving the film residue on your filter.