blown fork seal 07 wr

Hey tt members I havent seen anything on fork seal problems with the 07 wr450 yet.I just took my new bike out for its fourth ride only to find a puddle of fork oil in the bed of the truck when I got home.The bike is only one month old so the dealer said they will replace it under warranty.I am a little dissapointed . Just wondering if I am the only one with this problem?

I have had my bike since March and have ridden 700+ miles and I have had zero issues with any part of the bike.

What are your typical riding conditions? How heavy of a rider are you? I weight around 225lbs and ride technical slower paced stuff. More difficult riding and shorter distances average rides are 30-40 miles.

Chris

They get mud and junk pass the dust seal and they leak. Yamahas do this.

Try the film trick to get by, but you should pull the forks and clean them. Also, if you ride in alot of rocks, they get kicked up from the front tire and can put a burr on the fork that will tear the seal. Check for that. Seal savers are the best bet.

never heard of such thing, wanna enlighten us?

there is a screw on each fork (not the clicker) that you take out to relese the air build up in the forks. helps alot, just remember to put them back in...

there is a screw on each fork (not the clicker) that you take out to relese the air build up in the forks. helps alot, just remember to put them back in...

I have a few hundred miles on my '07WR and have not experienced any fork seal issues...yet. I have not yet installed fork seal savers yet but it would seem prudent to do so.

redswr...What screws are you referring to on the front forks? I didn't know the forks would gas up. Do releasing air from the forks change the way they feel? I would assume it would...but I'm not sure what to expect. ? They feel great as is.

Thanks!

-Jay

I have an '07 WR with a few hundred miles on her. The fork seals are fine...currently. I have not installed seal savers but it would seem prudent.

redswr...what screws are you referring to? Where are they located? I'm not familiar with forks gassing up and needing to be...er...burped. Does releasing air change the way the feel of the front suspension?

Thanks for your help.

-Jay

air bleed screw on the top of each fork.

lift front wheel off the ground and unscrew each one to release built-up air

then screw back in.

I don't know how this will prevent fork seals from blowing, but you should do

this anyway after (and even during) rides.

Hey tt members I havent seen anything on fork seal problems with the 07 wr450 yet.I just took my new bike out for its fourth ride only to find a puddle of fork oil in the bed of the truck when I got home.The bike is only one month old so the dealer said they will replace it under warranty.I am a little dissapointed . Just wondering if I am the only one with this problem?

My best guess is that you compressed the forks too much for too long. I have to trailer my bikes. Every time I stop for any period of time I release the tie-downs to take the pressure off the springs and keep from blowing out the seals. I have been doing that for over 30 years and have never had problems. I will be installing a set of strapless fron wheel clamps on my trailer as soon as I can find them. I saw them recently in one of my mags I just can't remember which one or I'd give you the name of them. Anyway I think that's what happened to your bike as the puddle of oil was in the truck bed and I assume that you strap it down for the trip. Cheers

thanks for the input the dealer honered my verey short waranty and are replacing the seal. As many years as I have been riding tying the bikes down for too long has never been an issue brfore, but mabe this will be my first lesson. Seal savers will be in my future if this becomes a problem.

thanks for the input the dealer honered my verey short waranty and are replacing the seal. As many years as I have been riding tying the bikes down for too long has never been an issue brfore, but mabe this will be my first lesson. Seal savers will be in my future if this becomes a problem.

The only thing I'm sure of is that prolonged compression of the forks will wear out the springs prematurely. As for increased pressure in the tubes because there is less space inside I don't know how much it really effects the seals, but I just follow the rule my uncle pounded into me as a rookie rider more over because I am a creature of habit. I know the damping action comes partly from springs and partly from valving, but I would be interested to know how much pressure builds from a compressed fork versus slack position. I too release the air in my forks after every outing and I think that is plenty for me but I have always wondered how much the air buildup would contribute to seal failure if left unchecked. I have noticed a performance change for sure if I forget to purge them. For what it's worth...

I've also seen in the mag's that they have fork vents that automaticly vent your forks without losing any fluid & prevent pressure buildup.

They have the type that are similar to schrader valves, you just push the little button with your finger to vent the air ?