Gearing change for more offroad. 83 XL600r

Hey everyone, I have a 83 XL600r with stock gearing, it is abit too tall for offroad. It idles at about 5mph and will do 95mph, what gearing can I switch to that will allow it to still go 65mph without being tached out?

Right now in 5th gear it chugs at 55mph, and there is chain slap/bogging at 45mph in 5th.

I am not exactly sure on the gearing now, but I believe its a 15 front 43 back...

The easy change is to go with a one smaller front.

The easy change is to go with a one smaller front.

I would but the back sprocket is a little worn and I want a new chain anyway, so I want to replace both sprockets&chain..

I would but the back sprocket is a little worn and I want a new chain anyway, so I want to replace both sprockets&chain..

:thumbsup: So buy new sprockets and chain. Just buy a 14T for the front. Thats what I have been running for mostly woods riding. And it only takes a few minutes to switch to the 15 tooth if you plan on doing a lot of road riding.

:thumbsup: So buy new sprockets and chain. Just buy a 14T for the front. Thats what I have been running for mostly woods riding. And it only takes a few minutes to switch to the 15 tooth if you plan on doing a lot of road riding.

okay awesome, I will do that! Keeping the rear size same new sprocket and buying a 14T front. The next question is, what sprockets to buy? I want something burly.