HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
axman2292

Best Sproket COMBO for trail/hill riding?

15 posts in this topic

I ride a 2002 YZF 426. I mostly ride trails & hills here in California. I currently have a 14 T front & 45 T rear. I feel like this is a little high for me when I get into tight stuff on the trail. What do you guys think would be a good combo for this type of riding.

I ride a 2002 YZF 426. I mostly ride trails & hills here in California. I currently have a 14 T front & 45 T rear. I feel like this is a little high for me when I get into tight stuff on the trail. What do you guys think would be a good combo for this type of riding.

14/45 ????????? is that stock gearing? That seems geared high (for top speed). My '07 is geared 13/51 but my internal tranny ratios are much different than yours. Check to see what's stock on your 426, than as a rule of thumb most people bump up the rear sprocket 2 to 3 teeth more for easier trail riding in 2nd gear.

14/50 or 13/50 depending on how much top end you want.:thumbsup:

Ditto - + much easier to change the gearing by swapping front sprockets than the rear...

14/45 ????????? is that stock gearing? That seems geared high
14/49 is stock on a 426. Just going back to that will be a huge improvement over what you have.

The primary reduction ratio was changed in '05 so that all the bikes after that need one size smaller front sprocket to have the same overall gear as the earlier ones.

Thanks for all the great replies..I am going out today to pick up a new rear. I think I am going to go for a 49 T rear and keep my 14 front. I will let you guys know how it works for me.

Thanks again, Axman:thumbsup:

On my '02 I run a 50 on the back and switch between a 14 and a 13 on the front depending on where we are riding.

Thanks for all the great replies..I am going out today to pick up a new rear. I think I am going to go for a 49 T rear and keep my 14 front. I will let you guys know how it works for me.

Thanks again, Axman:thumbsup:

I really don't like swapping front sprockets, because a 1 tooth less change on a countershaft sprocket yields a pretty dramatic change in the way the engine revs, sometimes that's not a good thing. Most all bikes i've bumped up the rear sprocket 2 teeth from stock, and it's works out perfect for me. I remember reading some interesting tech info that many AMA pros' will run a 15T countershaft sprocket when racing supercross to allow for better traction, and tracking through nasty whoops, the larger sprocket allows softer "torquing" of the swingarm, and lets the suspension work faster.....

I have two 450's, but one is older, with the lower primary ratio, and the other is the '06, which has higher internal gearing. I own 3 front sprockets, 13-15t. When we trail ride, or ride MX, he runs the 13, and I run the 14, except on some tracks. When we ride desert or the bigger tracks, he runs the 14 and I run a 15.

One tooth at the front equates to 3 (rounding a little) in the rear. It can be a bit of a jump, but if you set it up right, it can work. Just depends on your situation.

13/52......sweet.

Same here for tight & tall stuff. And great for plowing fields when the tractor is down:thumbsup:

Not trying to jack the thread. Just didn't want to start a new one.

Im also in the market for new sprockets/chain. Im running 14/50 right now. All I ride is motocross. What do you guys think of going 2 up in the back? 14/52? Also what about a chain? DID, Renthal. ....I am going with an O ring, just not sure which one.

Thanks

Im running 14/50 right now. All I ride is motocross. What do you guys think of going 2 up in the back? 14/52? Also what about a chain? DID, Renthal. ....I am going with an O ring, just not sure which one.

Don't go any lower on the gearing, IMO, and my preference is the Regina ORN6.

Don't go any lower on the gearing, IMO, and my preference is the Regina ORN6.

It does fine, just had a friend try to get me to go lower. I guess it was his way of keeping me from beating him all the time. lol Thanks Gray.