Back at it.....

Hello to all. Just hooked up on this site and looking for some info. About a month ago just picked up an 07 XR650L after being out of riding for about 10 years. Now I feel stupid for waiting so long. I love this bike. The way it pulls on the low end, I think John Deere must have had something to do with this engine. But then in turn the way it comes alive at 4500 rmp still shocks me at times. That brings me to my frist question. Does anyone know what the RPM redline is on this motor is. I did install a tach. I'm a geek like that and like to keep track of these things. That too I feel this bike has way to tall of a 1st and 2nd gear. Would like some info on sprocket changes. Would like to try a 48 tooth rear at frist and see how it works out. Any input from someone who has changed the gearing whould be great. I do ride this on the street time to time and it will still have to be able to run down the highway at 70 mph now and again. The only other short comings I have found so far outside of this are the bars. Tossed the stock steel ones for a set of Fly CR bars. That and just swapped the rear tire for a Dunlop D606. Seems a little out of balance now, may have to swap the front also, after I play around with the shock settings some more we'll see what happens. Outside of this...... Hell of a bike !! Thanks for any help, look forward to talking with you.

Thanks Cuz. Hey did you have to add any to the chain, or will it make it as is with the three extra teeth. Thanks. Pig.. thats funny. Does kinda sound like one. I have a ways to go before any pipe and carb changes. Just turned 400 miles on it last night.

You may try a 14 tooth on the front sprocket instead of changing the rear, the gearing wuld be the same as going to a 48 on the rear & it's cheeper plus if you want to switch back it only takes 5 min. the stock chain will work with 14 on the front & if you want to gear down more you could add the 48 on the rear & the stock chain will still work. I am currently running 14/48

Thanks Cuz. Hey did you have to add any to the chain, or will it make it as is with the three extra teeth. Thanks. Pig.. thats funny. Does kinda sound like one. I have a ways to go before any pipe and carb changes. Just turned 400 miles on it last night.

chain is long enough. you will see from time to time on here "BRP". BIG RED PIG !!?

You may try a 14 tooth on the front sprocket instead of changing the rear, the gearing wuld be the same as going to a 48 on the rear & it's cheeper plus if you want to switch back it only takes 5 min. the stock chain will work with 14 on the front & if you want to gear down more you could add the 48 on the rear & the stock chain will still work. I am currently running 14/48[/quote

how is at 70+ on the hiway?

Congrats on your new ride!.Does anyone have any thoughts on the Happy Trails skid plate and the highway bars?.Also,thinking about getting a larger tank?----any tech--spec. info.

On the skid plate,can you retain the factory skid "bar" on the bottom of the frame?.

THANKS.

Thanks again. Realy it's fine out on the road. The air off the semis and such push it around some. It will run down the road at 70 and still has the legs to step out and pass. You may want to talk with the guy on the H/D bagger I doored last weekend when he pulled up next to me at the light, and rolled his eyes at me. LOL. I don't think he'll live that down anytime soon.

Thanks again. Realy it's fine out on the road. The air off the semis and such push it around some. It will run down the road at 70 and still has the legs to step out and pass. You may want to talk with the guy on the H/D bagger I doored last weekend when he pulled up next to me at the light, and rolled his eyes at me. LOL. I don't think he'll live that down anytime soon.

LOL!!?

Hey Twitch

I'm not sure but you may be unaware of the smog block off kit and VERY cheap carb mods that reallt wake the L up.

In stock form it's a sleeper man ? . I have to do these myself but from all the info Iread on TT it's happening man! ?

Just scroll down and look for "Daves carb mods" and the "smog block off procedure" ..........

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/