HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alaskaayers

2003 WR450F idle speed

9 posts in this topic

I have a 2003 WR450 that I just recently bought (took it out for the first ride last Monday here in Alaska). I love it, but one thing I would like to tweak is the idle speed. I found myself fiddling with the idle adjustment all day because I couldn't find a speed where the bike would idle at a low enough rpm for downhill braking and not die when I stopped. It seems like the bike hunts for the correct idle speed quite a bit. Any help would be appreciated.

1 person likes this

Adjust your air screw. I prefer mine a little fast so it does not stall so often and saves on the clutch.

A hanging/hunting idle is often a symptom of a lean pilot circuit. The first thing I'd is make sure you have a 48 in there if you're below 4000' elevation. I run a SenDec tach/hour meter so I know where my idle sits...usually around 1800. Also, don't try adjust your air screw since you don't have one. The fuel screw however, may also help fine tune things :thumbsup:...SC

A hanging/hunting idle is often a symptom of a lean pilot circuit. The first thing I'd is make sure you have a 48 in there if you're below 4000' elevation. I run a SenDec tach/hour meter so I know where my idle sits...usually around 1800. Also, don't try adjust your air screw since you don't have one. The fuel screw however, may also help fine tune things :thumbsup:...SC

If the pilot is the right size you may want to just give the entire carby a good douche as you never know how the previous owner may have neglected things. Cheers

I have never ridden there. I am going to Sutton on Sunday. PM if you want to go.

Hey another Alaskan rider, awesome! I'll be going w/AKRider also, for sure go if you can, should be a blast. Welcome to ThumperTalk.

Mark