2003 WR450F idle speed

I have a 2003 WR450 that I just recently bought (took it out for the first ride last Monday here in Alaska). I love it, but one thing I would like to tweak is the idle speed. I found myself fiddling with the idle adjustment all day because I couldn't find a speed where the bike would idle at a low enough rpm for downhill braking and not die when I stopped. It seems like the bike hunts for the correct idle speed quite a bit. Any help would be appreciated.

Adjust your air screw. I prefer mine a little fast so it does not stall so often and saves on the clutch.

A hanging/hunting idle is often a symptom of a lean pilot circuit. The first thing I'd is make sure you have a 48 in there if you're below 4000' elevation. I run a SenDec tach/hour meter so I know where my idle sits...usually around 1800. Also, don't try adjust your air screw since you don't have one. The fuel screw however, may also help fine tune things :thumbsup:...SC

Where are you at in Alaska? I am in Eagle River.

I'm in Anchorage. We just went riding on Permanente trail Monday. It was absolutely gorgeous.

A hanging/hunting idle is often a symptom of a lean pilot circuit. The first thing I'd is make sure you have a 48 in there if you're below 4000' elevation. I run a SenDec tach/hour meter so I know where my idle sits...usually around 1800. Also, don't try adjust your air screw since you don't have one. The fuel screw however, may also help fine tune things :thumbsup:...SC

If the pilot is the right size you may want to just give the entire carby a good douche as you never know how the previous owner may have neglected things. Cheers

I have never ridden there. I am going to Sutton on Sunday. PM if you want to go.

Hey another Alaskan rider, awesome! I'll be going w/AKRider also, for sure go if you can, should be a blast. Welcome to ThumperTalk.

Mark

I couldn't get things together to go this weekend. Thanks for the invite though.