HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James_Dean

First Long Desert Ride on 00 WR400F and generated questions.

8 posts in this topic

Bob,

Welcome. The stock rear tire is not much good other than keeping the rim off the ground, start there and a lower pressure (8-12psi). Was your preload set correctly? Shock rebound can also play a big part in hill climbing. Currently I have settled on shock comp-8 clicks, reb-8 clicks, high speed comp-7/8('00WR's only).

For your jetting, the DVP or EMN needles with 45-48 pilot jets work well, you've probably read about this after a while here. Airbox lid off only helps for mid-top end. The pilot jet adds a little smooth torque down low and helps reduce stalling.

James

James,

Thanks for the reply. How much do you weigh? I am at 220lb with full gear. I set the preload with 3.75in of sag. I left everything else stock until I had chance to ride the bike. The front felt pretty good but the rear was a bit bouncy. What are the stock settings? Can I use the stock needle with a clip position change to make it a bit richer (one down for example). I will give the pilot jet change a try and see what happens.

Bob

------------------

98.5 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4

00 Yamaha WR400

99 Yamaha PW80

99 Terry Fifth Wheel

[This message has been edited by Desertbob (edited 09-25-2000).]

Bob

Use 6 to 7.5oz of flywheel weight and it will be a different motorcycle for those hills and other technical stuff. I use the WRD weight which mounts inside the flywheel.

Clark

Bob,

I weight in at about 200lb with gear. The needle could be tried in other slots, not sure which way. The straight diameter is very lean, richer clip positions are required.

James

Bob, Erik here,(RUTS). The guys here on this website are very knowledgable, such as James Dean, Clark, and me(ha ha) :). If there's anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to call. eriksmobiledetailing@prodigy.net or get my ph# from the RUTS roster. Also What gearing do you have? A little clutching is necessary on some of the loose "Stoddard valley" rocks. The Yammies do like to break loose in the loose stuff, but practicing throttle control will help. Ditch the stock rear tire too, Dunlop 756's or 739G's are the ticket. By the way, I am very familiar with the jetting and needle selections and adjustments

for your bike,thanks to Clark and James Dean.

I have various jets and needles that could be used if necessary. When are you riding next? Maybe we could get together then and get your bike dialed in. Or,if you're local, I could drop by and help you out before then too.

God Bless, Erik

------------------

So Cal Erik

Visit my club's site at <A HREF="http://www.ruts.org

" TARGET=_blank>www.ruts.org

</A>

[This message has been edited by So Cal Erik (edited 09-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by So Cal Erik (edited 09-26-2000).]

This is my first post after lurking for a month so be gentle.

Yesterday I took my first long, 75+ Mile Desert ride (Johnson Valley, SoCal) on my new 00 WR400F. First let me preface this by saying I used to ride/race (if you call it that) a heavily modified 93 DR350.

The WR400 was much faster and handled much better than I expected. It worked well in the whoops and the really rough stuff. Just like everyone said. It was like going from a Chevy to a Porche.

Now the hills were a different story. It seems like the WR spins the rear tire too easy. Hills that I used to just motor up in 1st on the DR have me trying 2 times to get up on the WR. I need to have the WR in 2nd and really slip the clutch to keep from looping or spining the rear. Can this be fixed with jetting and removing the airbox lid?

I would really like to keep the bike close to stock as I can. Mods to date: I have pulled the exhaust baffle and replaced it with a VORTIP and have the throttle stop removed. My dealer was nice and did these mods after I bought the bike. They also put it on a sniffer and adjusted the carb. No pops, back-fires or missing at any throttle. If I pull the airbox lid and rejet will I get more low-end or just top-end? If I can expect more low-end what would the jetting changes be for Southern California Deserts and places like Gorman? I am looking for smooth, linear off-road power not motocross explosion so I am not interested in YZ timing.

I look forward to your replys.

Bob

---------

Proud Member of Racers Under the Son

D-37 F110 (Beginner but soon to be Novice)

---------

------------------

98.5 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4

00 Yamaha WR400

99 Yamaha PW80

99 Terry Fifth Wheel

Eric,

Thanks for the offer of help. I was trying to get over to introduce myself again at the last RUTS meeting but you were really busy with the Motocross stuff. Maybe next meeting we can talk. I live in Foothill Ranch and am home most week-ends unless I am riding or camping with the family. I would welcome :) your help anytime to get the most out of this bike .

Right now I am using stock gearing which is 14/50 (I think). I thought the bike came with Dunlop 739's are the 'G's and 756 best for Desert?

I will be going out to the Desert on Oct 14 to do some more practicing and tuning as I am thinking about entering the 100's MC Hare & Hound on Oct 22 (The RUTS Moto Olympics is on the 21st so we will be out there anyway).

------------------

98.5 Dodge 2500 24v Cummins 4x4

00 Yamaha WR400

99 Yamaha PW80

99 Terry Fifth Wheel