HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigdaub

yz450 question

7 posts in this topic

I just bought an 07 yz450, and put on an fmf powercore 4 pipe tonite - i checked the oil, started the bike and let it run for about 3 minutes, and then i saw some white smoke coming out of the pipe. I shut the bike off right after i saw that, let it cool down a bit, and checked the oil once more just to be sure. I'm pretty sure that the smoke was just from the new pipe getting burned up/ broken in. anyone else have this happen to them?

After this, i started it again, and let it run for about 5 mins, blipping the throttle here and there, trying to get my idle to where i like it, and then some coolant started spilling out of the overflow hose - is this normal for the new yzs? did i just let it idle/ warm up too long?

any input would be appreciated!

The smoke was from the new packing, and yes, YZF's will over-heat if you don't get any air thru the radiators.

I'm guessing your header was glowing red too?

Yeah, your pushing the envelope idling the bike for 5minutes.I cringe letting it idle for 3,but so far with the exception when it was "brand new", it hasn't burped any on the 3minute oil check. I don't think this pertains to just the new yz's, because my past two crf's didn't like extended idling either.

Yeah, your pushing the envelope idling the bike for 5minutes.I cringe letting it idle for 3,but so far with the exception when it was "brand new", it hasn't burped any on the 3minute oil check. I don't think this pertains to just the new yz's, because my past two crf's didn't like extended idling either.

says right in the book do not idel more than 2 min.

says right in the book do not idel more than 2 min.
You don't expect people to actually read that, do you?

I wouldn't worry much about boiling over the coolant for that one time. A common break in procedure is to let the bike get real hot, then when it boils over-shut it down. That is suppose to help everthing seal up real nice.