HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beerjonny

Crash in Rear Rim

6 posts in this topic

** Title should read 'crack', not 'crash' (can't figure out how to edit it) ***

Got a couple flats this week, unusual as I run HD tubes and have gone quite a while without one.

I run a 2004 XR650R stock rims.

Still not sure this is the cause, but I found it while pumping up my last tire.

Anyways, can I just get this welded and then grind the weld down a bit???

P6240442.jpg

It happens.

Probably more often here in the desert south west with high speeds and rock impacts.

It will get worse. I would replace with an Excel. About $150-175 with spokes.

Not too hard to do.

You may want to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading and clean it up so you can keep riding until ready to replace.

It happens.

Probably more often here in the desert south west with high speeds and rock impacts.

It will get worse. I would replace with an Excel. About $150-175 with spokes.

Not too hard to do.

You may want to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading and clean it up so you can keep riding until ready to replace.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to avoid the excel route, but may go there for peace of mind.

I am doing a 4500km trip in a month, so i want it to be 100% for it, but for the same reason, cash flow is tight.

I like the idea of drilling a stress releif hole. I may try and drill a small hole, get a good welder to run a bead over it and grind it if I need to.

If it looks bad after the work is done, I'll have to step up to an aftermarket rim.

Thanks.

Is it cracked on the inside wall, too?

The rim's edge should be rolled over to create a double-wall structure. I would think that by drilling a small hole at the tip of the crack and welding (heliarc?) it, grinding it down some, that would be a strong repair, especially if the inner wall was undamaged.

I'm no metallurgist, however. Just a gut feel.

We have a top notch AL welder in town... I will take the rim into him and get some thoughts.

Thanks guys