HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tggray01

Snorkel for XR650L

16 posts in this topic

Hello all; I have a 2000 xr650l that is completely stock. I just took off the snorkel and man, does that really let the beast breath. The front end is ready to come up easier, the exhaust has a deep throat sound (completely stock), faster acceleration, and all around more power, but the thing is a bit finicky. The thing will surge and hesitate a little. I still need to take the carburetor out and clean it up, but is there anything else that I should look at? What will happen if I also desmog the beast? Will I have to do any other adjustments? I don't want to rejet it or put on an aftermarket exhaust, but am considering a Uni or K&N airfilter for it. Which one is better; Uni, stock, or K&N?:thumbsup:

Hello all; I have a 2000 xr650l that is completely stock. I just took off the snorkel and man, does that really let the beast breath. The front end is ready to come up easier, the exhaust has a deep throat sound (completely stock), faster acceleration, and all around more power, but the thing is a bit finicky. The thing will surge and hesitate a little. I still need to take the carburetor out and clean it up, but is there anything else that I should look at? What will happen if I also desmog the beast? Will I have to do any other adjustments? I don't want to rejet it or put on an aftermarket exhaust, but am considering a Uni or K&N airfilter for it. Which one is better; Uni, stock, or K&N?:thumbsup:

stay away from k&n, lets fine silt in. use the foam filters like uni. but if it is surging now, unfortunately you already need to rejet. WAAAAY too lean stock then you feed it more air and they wont run right.

how much fuel mileage will I lose if I rejet just to the next size? Do I have to rejet both jets? Will it get even worse if I add a Uni filter? Can I do anything else other than jetting to fix the problem like adjusting the fuel/air adjustment screw?

:thumbsup: I'm lost here .........

The bike comes lean from the factory and when you remove the snorkel that would make it run leaner yet so why are you feeling a gain in performance?

Is it lean from factory all over the jetting spectrum or just top end or what?

If his brings the front up easier it would seem the bottom end WAS too rich and he leaned that out more? I thought the L was lean everywhere? (low,mid and top?)

I didn't remove my snorkel because of this, want to wait till it's jetted richer.

I thought the same, but it has a gain in power throughout. It runs at 70 mph now like it did at 65 mph before the removal of the snorkel along with a gain in bottom end torque.

in my experience the stock carb was lean from bottom to top. do daves mods or dynojet. dont forget when you get a used bike, who knows what a previous owner could have done. maybe he put in a different main, or shimmed the needle. you need to pull the carb down and see what is inside as far as jets, needle mods.

dont forget when you get a used bike, who knows what a previous owner could have done. maybe he put in a different main, or shimmed the needle. you need to pull the carb down and see what is inside as far as jets, needle mods.

Do you know if your carb is stock? Buy yours new?

If yours is stock, the circumstances that should happen are a leaner, hotter, more back firing running, engine. :busted::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Huffa, I think you are right; my carb is stock (about 98% sure) and it runs a little hot and has that slight backfiring when I deccelerate. I want to keep at least about 40mpg fuel consumption if I can. If I desmog, will that worsen the situation?

I also have a 2000 L. I bought it with 450 miles on it and a DynoJet kit already installed and the snorkel and smog removed. I added an aftermarket slip-on muffler (Pro Circuit T-4) and a K&N filter. It runs cool and I average between 45 - 50 mpg with a lot more power than it had before.

Huffa, I think you are right; my carb is stock (about 98% sure) and it runs a little hot and has that slight backfiring when I deccelerate. I want to keep at least about 40mpg fuel consumption if I can. If I desmog, will that worsen the situation?

De smog will not change your fuel mpg.

I don't think (???) the desmogging has much of an effect on gas mileage.

The important issue is to get it running cooler and richer by the carb mods.

I mostly am going (just bought mine a bit ago) to ride mine on back roads/highways and am thinking of actually gearing it up a bit by going down 2-3 teeth on the rear sprocket or up one in front.

It should help it get even better milage and relax the motor a bit more when your tooling arond between 60 & 70. ++ I think I will like the slightly broader powerband/taller gears :thumbsup:

I'm 50+ years old and doing wheelies and such is just not an issue with me anymore so I could care less about flat out acceleration. My thoughts are more in line with making the bike as comfoirtable as possible reguarding engine RPM's.

The 650 can certainly handle the taller gearing, that's for sure.

I also have a 2000 L. I bought it with 450 miles on it and a DynoJet kit already installed and the snorkel and smog removed. I added an aftermarket slip-on muffler (Pro Circuit T-4) and a K&N filter. It runs cool and I average between 45 - 50 mpg with a lot more power than it had before.

I guess the dyno kit must have made such a huge improvement that it scared the guy into selling it :thumbsup:

Those are the deals to find! :thumbsup:

When it comes to fuel mileage, what your going to get is based almost entirely on the operating efficiency of the motor. The more efficient you can get it to operate, the better the mileage. So, you actually stand to improve your fuel mileage by getting your jetting right (even if it is richer). Aftermarket mods will often also improve fuel mileage... like exhaust and efficient air filter.

The key is, now that your making more power, don't use it. If you dig in deep to get that new-found power, you cause the engine to operate in "acceleration" and incredibly in-efficient. Take it easy, ride like the power isn't there, and my money says you'll see increased fuel mileage.

Bonus: You will have it when you need it, and that's what counts.:thumbsup:

Have Fun!

When it comes to fuel mileage, what your going to get is based almost entirely on the operating efficiency of the motor. The more efficient you can get it to operate, the better the mileage. So, you actually stand to improve your fuel mileage by getting your jetting right (even if it is richer). Aftermarket mods will often also improve fuel mileage... like exhaust and efficient air filter.

The key is, now that your making more power, don't use it. If you dig in deep to get that new-found power, you cause the engine to operate in "acceleration" and incredibly in-efficient. Take it easy, ride like the power isn't there, and my money says you'll see increased fuel mileage.

Bonus: You will have it when you need it, and that's what counts.:thumbsup:

Have Fun!

That's what I predict will happen too, your explanation is worded better though :thumbsup:

Alright; so I should get the $64.95 dynojet kit from this website? What is the difference between dynojet and Dave's mods? How much cheaper is Dave's mods and what all do you have to buy for Dave's mods? Next bit of questions...(sorry guys).....will I have to replace the main jet and the idle jet? What are the stock sizes for this? What is the next size that I need to get? How does the whole numbering system work for the jets? Is it the flow and if so, what are the units?