HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeanluconze

650L harder to shift as engine warms???

17 posts in this topic

My '07 650L has 700 miles on it. I've changed the oil&filter twice. Did dave's mods, swapped to MT-21's and 14/48 gearing - what wonders those did for this fatty mcgee. :thumbsup:

One thing I notice is that it seems like my shifting gets clunkier after riding about 15-20 minutes and the engine is fully warmed up. I don't think it's running too hot, I've IR-gunned the oil through the dipstick spout and have never registered more than 200 F. Almost feels like the oil gets hot and runny and doesn't smooth the shifting the way it does when cold and thicker. I'm running Honda GN-4 10-40w in San Diego where it is never above 90 or below 65 F ambient. Is this normal or anything you've experienced?

I'm easy on the girl and given the low mileage I find it hard to believe it's a clutch issue. Any thoughts?

My '07 650L has 700 miles on it. I've changed the oil&filter twice. Did dave's mods, swapped to MT-21's and 14/48 gearing - what wonders those did for this fatty mcgee. :thumbsup:

One thing I notice is that it seems like my shifting gets clunkier after riding about 15-20 minutes and the engine is fully warmed up. I don't think it's running too hot, I've IR-gunned the oil through the dipstick spout and have never registered more than 200 F. Almost feels like the oil gets hot and runny and doesn't smooth the shifting the way it does when cold and thicker. I'm running Honda GN-4 10-40w in San Diego where it is never above 90 or below 65 F ambient. Is this normal or anything you've experienced?

I'm easy on the girl and given the low mileage I find it hard to believe it's a clutch issue. Any thoughts?

all gears or maybe 2nd? i run 20w-50 in mine here in nv. same temps.

I'm here in San Diego too. My friend and I both ride XRL's and run 20w-50 in them. I've never noticed any change in the shifting after the bike's warmed up and neither has he.

Of course I come from a background of riding BMWs and Ducatis so my idea of smooth shifting my vary from yours. :thumbsup:

I have a 2001 xr650l with 2500 miles on it, it is very clunky shifting from 1st to 2nd gear . I also use Honda 10-w-40 in it and change it often . I have to admit that my Harley Davidson shifts way smoother than this Honda ever thought of .

On a side note..a friend of mine also owns a 2001 xr650l and his seems to shift a little better . His has about 7000 miles on it and has been riden hard and off road. ......go figure .

I have a 2001 xr650l with 2500 miles on it, it is very clunky shifting from 1st to 2nd gear . I also use Honda 10-w-40 in it and change it often . I have to admit that my Harley Davidson shifts way smoother than this Honda ever thought of .

On a side note..a friend of mine also owns a 2001 xr650l and his seems to shift a little better . His has about 7000 miles on it and has been riden hard and off road. ......go figure .

Percyco, anywhere near cortland?

Dave

I'm here in San Diego too. My friend and I both ride XRL's and run 20w-50 in them. I've never noticed any change in the shifting after the bike's warmed up and neither has he.

Of course I come from a background of riding BMWs and Ducatis so my idea of smooth shifting my vary from yours. :thumbsup:

yetix, did you switch from the "recommended" 10-40 to 20-50 for any particular reason? Does the bike behave better or did you do it because we don't get any cold weather here?

Make sure the clutch cable slack (freeplay) is adjusted properly. I know it sounds simple enough, but check it to make sure it's within spec.

Also try shifting with the freeplay (clutch cable slack) taken up with your fingers before pulling in the clutch to shift. This doesn't mean ridin' the clutch either. You gotta pay a little more attention to your shifting motion but it's not hard to do.

This technique can relieve a lot of shifting grief (noises). Give it a go & see what happens. Works really well on my ancient VT-F.

I changed to a full synthetic oil for this very reason and it did seem to help some.

yetix, did you switch from the "recommended" 10-40 to 20-50 for any particular reason? Does the bike behave better or did you do it because we don't get any cold weather here?

I switched because it doesn't get cold here and I wanted more protection when the bike gets hot. I have a temp dipstick and the oil heats up just fine but never gets too hot (i.e. doesn't go over 250). I may switch to 10w-40 during the winter, we'll see.

Make sure the clutch cable slack (freeplay) is adjusted properly. I know it sounds simple enough, but check it to make sure it's within spec.

Also try shifting with the freeplay (clutch cable slack) taken up with your fingers before pulling in the clutch to shift. This doesn't mean ridin' the clutch either. You gotta pay a little more attention to your shifting motion but it's not hard to do.

This technique can relieve a lot of shifting grief (noises). Give it a go & see what happens. Works really well on my ancient VT-F.

this is a good tip and it works, thanks!:thumbsup:

XRs only recommends 20/50 also im right next to them and if your seeing 225 temps and a bit more you sure do want the tad bit heavier weight to help, i will also see how mine runs in winter and change oil viscosity if i have lower temps.

I have 7000 miles on my '05 and it's clunky from 1st to 2nd. It can also be a little tricky finding neutral; (down - oops, 1st - up - oops, 2nd, down - oops, 1st - up, ahhhhh. neutral)

i would suggest 20/50 for the summers there, thats whats recomended on the L by XRs Only so i use it and it seems fine.

mine shifts harder when it gets hot too.. a 20 year honda mechanic I know says too use synthetic oil (it should help a little bit) and just keep on going He says it is not doing any damage

How tight is your chain? I've noticed on my L that it shifts bad if the chain is too tight. You should have between 1 3/4 to 2 inches of slack in it if it's adjusted properly.