Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaredc28

Dumb question...L

8 posts in this topic

It's basically a screen that keeps small pieces of hot stuff from coming out of your exhaust , potentially landing in some dry vegetation, and causing a fire. Muffler packing, pieces of hot metal from an engine, or hot carbon deposits that break free are kept in the exhaust system. Many riding areas require you have a spark arrestor; especially state or federal property. It isn't required on most motocross tracks.

What's a spark arrestor and what does it do.:thumbsup:

It's a cheap little screen that cost me $175 when I forgot to put it back in before riding on BLM land. Teach me to f%*k with my muffler when I'm in a hurry. :thumbsup:

Honda puts this plate (#10) on muffler so every few years you can take it off, run the bike a bit to spit out the deposits that may be in there but once a machine gets so old, those bolts, at least usually one of them break off. If it's a old machine and the bolt feels like it's turning hard :thumbsup: leave it alone!

I'll bet most people never ever remove the plate, I tried it once on a model and hardly anything came out.

sparkarresterplate.gif

There are two main types of spark arrestor. The screen type that has already been described and the centrifical type. I think that they are also called Kirzman. Those work kind of like a Dyson vaccum. The arrestor has vanes that make the exhaust gases twist around. The possibly burning bits are thrown out of the gas stream and the gas goes out of the pipe. This is the type that Honda uses on your 650L. That's why you have to take the little plate off and blow it out from time to time. I've never had much come out on my XR600.

Honda puts this plate (#10) on muffler so every few years you can take it off, run the bike a bit to spit out the deposits that may be in there but once a machine gets so old, those bolts, at least usually one of them break off. If it's a old machine and the bolt feels like it's turning hard :thumbsup: leave it alone!

I'll bet most people never ever remove the plate, I tried it once on a model and hardly anything came out.

sparkarresterplate.gif

Ok, I have a 93' with a supertrapp exhaust (all the discs in). Do you have to have spark arrestors in these aftermarket pipes? And if so where do I get one?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Most pipes that have spark arrestors built into them have "USFS APPROVED SPARK ARRESTOR" stamped into them. Every Supertrapp that I had was a spark arrestor too. Look for that stamping.