HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasonr

what is the best 4 stroke engine oil?

10 posts in this topic

I run Rotella, not because it might be "the best," but because it is good enough.

For me a group V 100% ester would be "the best." It will be $8 to $10 per quart and I would rather spend $9 per gallon.

Rotella is great oil! Cheap and you can find it anywhere. But the best oil is going to have to be Amsoil. I have run all the rest and Amsoil is noticably better. Spendy, but worth the money.

That is like asking what is the best beer!

No, its not. best beer is an IMPORTANT question.

Best OIL doesn't really matter.

What is a GOOD oil is important, though.

Dave (Rotella 15W-40 user)

No, its not. best beer is an IMPORTANT question.

Best OIL doesn't really matter.

What is a GOOD oil is important, though.

Dave (Rotella 15W-40 user)

When you use Rotella you have enough $$$ left over to actually buy the important stuff (beer).

Terrible Herbst Parrifin 'super oil' is my favorite. If you spill it, you can make the drippings into candles for your friends.

I use Shell Rotella also. Just make sure it is the Synthetic Rotella, there is a standard oil called Shell Rotella.

There is an article somewhere on the 'net about oils for four stroke bikes and it favors Rotella Syn. I pay $13 at WalMart. Where do you get it for $9? or are you using the standard version?

There is an article somewhere on the 'net about oils for four stroke bikes and it favors Rotella Syn.

This might be the article you're talking about.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Bottom line of the article is that synthetic oil is best, but Rotella synthetic, which is partially synthetic, is a pretty good oil for the price.

Rotella is great oil! Cheap and you can find it anywhere. But the best oil is going to have to be Amsoil. I have run all the rest and Amsoil is noticably better. Spendy, but worth the money.

So just what did you notice that is better? I've used many different brands of oil and never noticed any difference except for when I used too high viscosity and the clutch started hanging.