street legal? WR400

check out bajadesigns.com, this is where i got my kit for my 99 wr400. it comes with signals, a DOT headlight, brakelight, horn and very small battery. after installing the kit i went to 2 dmv offices in CA before i got plates.. its a real grey area and nobody knew what was required. they didn't realize that i didn't have the necessary metal gas tank or DOT tires but i've been stopped by cops and they don't care either. ps you'll need a mirror too.

I have a '99 Canadian WR that I bought from a dealer in So. Cal (Mission Yamaha).

It does not have the dreaded "3" or "C" in the VIN. I followed Baja Design's instructions and got it plated no problem.

I checked a '00 at the same dealer a while back and it was the same with no "3" or "C".

Originally posted by joe:

can you still make the WR

street legal?

what year?

I'd like to street legal a WR426F!

?

joecallan@hotmail.com

At least here you can quite easily (AZ) all I needed to do was a horn,mirror,brake light, battery(to pass inspection, the battery has to run the tail light 15-20min.) I ripped that stuff off after inspection.(ecept brake light and mirror(buy a cheepy and one that is easily removable so you can take it off when you hit the dirt!) It also depends on what kind of 'mood' the inspecter is in. Oh hey D.O.T. approved tires, Pirelli makes a decent D.O.T. approved tire, go to BajaDesigns.com They have a street legal kit too, it's kind of over kill though. My insurance is $160.oo a YEAR for it. I am 28.

Have fun!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by 2-DADS RACING:

ARE YOU STILL LOOKING FOR A STREET LEGAL

WR 400. I HAVE A CALIF LIC. WR 400.

CALL ME TOLL FREE 888-248-9159 THANKS MARK

I am looking for a bike that I can re-register in NY

[This message has been edited by thomas (edited 09-14-2000).]

I dont know about NY but in CA and most states you just bring in the old plate from what ever state and re reg in in that state with a plate. Once you have a street bike it should always be titled as a street bike and treated just like a car or street bike , no inspection. Thats how it is in CA at least

I just got my 2000 RED STICKERED WR 400 registered in California. This is what worked for me I hope it will help. it took me almost a year to get this stupid plate.

FORMS NEEDED

1- TITLE

2- STATEMENT OF FACTS- BRAKE LAMP INSPECTION

3- STATEMENT OF FACTS- RECIEVING CHP FORM 888

4- OFF ROAD REGISTRATION

5- PROOF OF INSURANCE

6- $129.00

THE DMV WORKER WENT TO THE BOOK AND LOOKED UP HOW TO COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION (CHAPTER 30, SECTION 30-340.)

SHE TOOK THE FORMS AND SAID SACRAMENTO HAD TO AUTHORIZE THE TRANSFER. SHE TOOK MY PAPERWORK TO A MANAGER AND HE CALLED SACRAMENTO. (AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT SHE TOLD ME) A SHORT TIME LATER SHE WENT TO THE MANAGER. THEY SPOKE BRIEFLY AND SHE RETURNED AND SAID "OK"

SHE GAVE ME MY PLATE AND REG.

I HAVE BEEN SHOT DOWN BEFORE BY SAYING I WANTED A DUAL REGISTRATION. DON'T DO THIS.

I ALSO WAS SHOT DOWN BY VERMONT DMV.( THEY DID NOT LIKE MY VIN VERIFICATION)

I ALMOST STARTED CRY LIKE A LITTLE GIRL WHEN THE DMV WORKER GAVE ME THE PLATE.

I HOPE THIS HELPS

Here's something that I heard about to get around most states issuing a title that shows "off road use only". If you are buying a new bike from a dealer you can ask them not to liscense it at all, just ask them to register it for " title purposes only". the title then is issued to show ownership only. You then go to the regional licensing office and tell them you need plates. May or maynot work, but at least your title doesn't show "off road use only". Its a little more leg work as well, but you just might slip thru.

Going to the local DMV and getting a plate has been a iffy propositon some do get through but when you go to renew you will probably get nailed and given the choice of RED sticker or nothing. This is happening to a lot of people on renew--but not everyone boy is this state scrwed up or what.

Its a dumb law and will have no impact on SMOG either way the numbers just don't suppport it. One misstuned truck is more damageing than a zillon modern 4-strokes.

Clark