HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yzfjbw323

Engine noise 450

28 posts in this topic

Hey guys I am very new to this 4 stroke thing

I bought a 2007 yz450 used, it seems to me there is alot of engine noise, most notably a slight clicking sound. Not having a manual yet I am scared to even touch the engine other than oil changes, do you think the clicking is a serious problem or am I a uneducated 4-stroke rider?

i believe it is normal. Mine had it since day one. No problems so far and it has 30 hours on it. It is disconcerting but you get used to it.

I rode one and it did not have a click noise but there was a lot of racket in the engine. I noticed a difference when I pulled in the clutch. The owner said it was normal.

Go to the local MX track and listen to other YZ's and make sure the noise is similiar.

its normal.. mine does the same thing. yamis have very noisy engines, yami adressed this in the new 08.

yah,its normal.Mine only has 13 hours on it and the clicking noise drives me nuts.I swear that it didnt make it when new.

Funny, every time I stop and pull in the clutch, I think holly shit this thing makes a lot of noise, but it's normal. Where in ID?

im curious, does anyone know if this "clankyness" plagues only the "all new" 06/07 motors or is it all year 450's?

Thanks for all your help guys I feel alot better now.

I live in Boise WB, where are you from?

This is a 5 valve engine with two cams, these motors often make ticking noises at idle. If the noise gets worst or gets extremely loud when reeving the engine you may want to consider adjusting your valves. Make sure you have oil!

Thanks for all your help guys I feel alot better now.

I live in Boise WB, where are you from?

Same here.

i have a 2003 yz450F and it makes a fair amount of engine rattle. I just bought it about two months ago. It starts well and runs like stink so I'm happy enough. Glad to hear the rattle seems to be part of normal YZ sounds.

It's characteristic of all the big YZF's and the 250F as well, although the little bike's noises are "smaller". It's more obvious on the '06/7 because the aluminum frame doesn't damp the sound as well as the steel frame did.

I have a small amount of noise on my 03 450, nothing like the ticking my 86 xt350 makes.

I do have one question, and sorry to high jack, but does anyone have any issues with the motor kinda missing at the top end when it is muggy out? It kinda seems to act like it is hitting a rev limiter, or missing, I also dont have the same power as when it doesnt do it. Mostly noticed in 1st gear.

you guys shouldn't panic, i got a yz 450 06 at home(namibia), its also loud and don't have any problems except it boils!!!. got a honda crf 450 04 in germany and that thing allready broke like 4 times, damn i miss my yamaha! !! :thumbsup:

Anyone had issues with the Timing Chains on their 07's. I had two friends that their bikes jumped timing during our last xc race. One YZ450F and YZ250F. It did seem to me like his bike was making more noise than normal. I am used to RFS noise with KTM and Huskies but it seemed like his was a little louder from what I remembered earlier.

He had checked his valves just to make sure and they were in spec. On his bike nothing happened except jumping timing but the 250 bent a valve. Just a regular track but it did have mud.

Funny thing is that he put it back on time and it jumped again. He and mechanic are still looking into it.

Do the chains stretch on this model or is there an issue with the tensioner? His earlier YZ's were pretty much bullet proof. Just curious, if anyone has any info I would be glad to pass it on to him.

Do the chains stretch on this model or is there an issue with the tensioner? His earlier YZ's were pretty much bullet proof. Just curious, if anyone has any info I would be glad to pass it on to him.
I've heard of only a couple of incidents like this. Usually, the cause in earlier YZF's is camshafts partially, or momentarily, seizing in the head. I'd pull the cams and have a look at the journals and saddles, and also check the clearance.

I'm not aware of any issues with stretching chains, or of a tensioner weakness. The tensioner was suspected as a cause of the valve failures in the '06 250F, but the speculators turned out to be wrong about that. YZF tensioners are one of those things that are so simple that they're brilliant. Basically too simple not to work.