HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TyeeHusky

Oil bolt gasket?

12 posts in this topic

I am suprised the WR oil drain bolts do not come with a gasket. You mate the bolt up metal to metal. Do most people leave it this way when reinstalling the bolts are are some of you making your own gaskets?

Even my YZ250 came with a soft gasket material for the drain bolt. I think this may be why some people are breaking the drain bolts on the WR. Yes we all should use the torque wrench.

There should be a copper washer for the drain bolt...at least there is on my '05 WR450. You're supposed to replace it with every oil change, but I still have my original washer. Never had a problem with leaks or bolts breaking.:thumbsup:

^^^^^

What he said. My cousins YZf and my TT-R have the copper crush gaskets too. Ditto on the leaking, mine has about 10 oil changes on the original and it still seals good.

I've replaced my gaskets a couple times. A whole pack of them only costs a few bucks.

Thanks for the reply's. Cost is not the issue. The bike does not have it on the three drain bolts.

Before I went and added a gasket or copper washer, I wanted to see if anyone knew of a reason the 07 drain bolts do not have them.

Seams very silly they did not come installed.

Thanks for the reply's. Cost is not the issue. The bike does not have it on the three drain bolts.

Before I went and added a gasket or copper washer, I wanted to see if anyone knew of a reason the 07 drain bolts do not have them.

Seams very silly they did not come installed.

My 07 definitely has the copper washers installed. Perhaps your dealer forgot/neglected to install these when they set the bike up? Either way, I'd install some.

The bike does not have it on the three drain bolts.

Three?

I checked again guys and it was only one missing. They may have forgot or let's give them the benefit of doubt and say it fell off during the first oil change and I did not notice.

Anyway purchased some more and all is well.

Thanks again.

I checked again guys and it was only one missing. They may have forgot or let's give them the benefit of doubt and say it fell off during the first oil change and I did not notice.

Anyway purchased some more and all is well.

Thanks again.

You mentioned 3 drain bolts - am I missing one?