Road gearing?

ya ive read posts elsewhere here in tt and some say it worked. WELL, it doesnt!

Being new to the bike thing, is there a way to tell how large my rear sprocket is, stamped into the metal or something (bike is 86' XL600R). The former owner thinks it's an aftermarket 47, the front I can count the teeth (I guess I could do that on the rear also). I do mostly road riding and at 65/70mph it's at the most rev's I would want to give it (and it vibrates your hands/ass with the high rev's). Also, who sells parts for a bike this old? Are they the same bolt pattern as new ones.

UPDATE: I should have looked before asking. A little wire brush and I found a 48 on the rear and a 15 on the front.

Being new to the bike thing, is there a way to tell how large my rear sprocket is, stamped into the metal or something (bike is 86' XL600R). The former owner thinks it's an aftermarket 47, the front I can count the teeth (I guess I could do that on the rear also). I do mostly road riding and at 65/70mph it's at the most rev's I would want to give it (and it vibrates your hands/ass with the high rev's). Also, who sells parts for a bike this old? Are they the same bolt pattern as new ones.

UPDATE: I should have looked before asking. A little wire brush and I found a 48 on the rear and a 15 on the front.

that is the setup i use on my 650l but i do 60-40 street dirt. you should do like Huffa and run 15/42 for your riding.

parts are plentiful! bikebandit, xr's only, local shops, everywhere!:thumbsup:

Thanks, I called the local shop and ordered new front and rear and chain. I went back to stock 15/43 with all new Sunstar sprockets and 520-104 DID chain all for 120.00 and I can pick them up tomorrow.

Ohh, how sweet it is!! 150 miles on the new 15/43 setup and it's sooooo much better than the 15/48. The bike shifts better, has more power for a longer amount of time, does better wheelies in 2nd because the motor does not over rev as soon as before. It was winding out @70mph in 5th and now it's fine @80 in 4th and 5th is over drive.... How sweet it is!

Good i found this thread...i was looking for the best ratio...thanks guys...

i would only wheelie after 3rd gear...i somehow have a feeling if i do it on the 2nd,i would just flip the bike...oh yeah...currently running 14/45...good on the roads...but so much draggy on the dirt...i think i'm gonna switch to either 14/48 or 15/45..