2001 YZ426 to a 2008 YZ450??

I have an 01 426 now and am looking to get something newer in the near future and wanted to know how the maintance is compared to my 426 on a new 450

do the valves wear any faster? anything like that or am I just thinking too much?

kinda tossin around getting a YZ250 also, I"m not gonna sell the 426 unless I have to

The new ones carry less oil, so I change the oil in the '06 about a third more often. The air filter seems to get dirty faster, too. Otherwise, no difference.

As far as I can tell it's the same bike only the stroke/bore was changed. Should be about the same maintenace if not less.:thumbsup:

As far as I can tell it's the same bike only the stroke/bore was changed. Should be about the same maintenace if not less.:thumbsup:

Are you kidding? Totally different bike, the amount of oil carried is less, oil is no longer high up in the frame lowering center of mass, aluminum frame, the list goes on and on. Not to mention the power is mild compared to the ole 426 which makes the bike much less tiring to ride.

Are you kidding? Totally different bike, the amount of oil carried is less, oil is no longer high up in the frame lowering center of mass, aluminum frame, the list goes on and on. Not to mention the power is mild compared to the ole 426 which makes the bike much less tiring to ride.
All true enough, except the question was how the new bikes compared to the old with respect to the maintenance required.

In that respect I agree and apologize. The response read "it's the same bike ONLY the bore/stroke have changed." All in how the response is interpreted.

N H N F :thumbsup:

All true enough, except the question was how the new bikes compared to the old with respect to the maintenance required.

yes I really only was talking about the engine

the only reason I got a 426 instead of a YZ250 is because of my dad he thought I wouldn't like a 2 stroke in the woods since it was my first bike but now he says to get a 250 since it costs less to rebuild :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think I may just keep the 426 and save and get a newer YZ250 who knows