Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark_B

Stock baffle/Vortip problems

6 posts in this topic

I need some help, I have broken three stock baffles and yesterday a Vortip insert. Do I have a problem with jetting or somthing else? The bike is stock, the jetting is stock, the airbox has not been altered, the timing is WR standard, and I have not done any of the mods suggested on this board. I ride at elevations of 2000' to 4000'.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

They break where the bolt mounts it to the muffler. It is not the result of crashes so I am kind of at a loss and wondering if it is jetting related. I have run the bike without the baffle but I do not notice any backfire. If any body could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

is your bolt too long? It should be somewhere around 3/8" long. Might be bottoming out against the inner pipe???

I would think that if it were broken by backfire you would know it without a doubt.

I have the same bike and ride in the same elevation. I have never had a problem like yours. I think you may have your bolts too tight? Heat expands metal? I mean bolts don't just brake for no reason. If they are bottomed any flex may rip up a bolt. How are they broken? Are they really broke or torn. You see there are different ways that a piece of metal is broken can you expand.