HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigtooth

Should my rocker arms have lateral play?

7 posts in this topic

....I adjusted my valves this morning for like the third time in a week. The 650r is pretty new to me and I went with some advice I had seen here alot and that was to adjust your valves on the loose side.....but the ticking that was produced when doing this was unbareable. Once I was in there again this morning I noticed that my intake rocker arms had a bit of side to side movment, is this normal? Damn I hope so.

TIA

I don't have your bike-I have the XR600. But, yes, there is a little bit of lateral movement to the rockers. Not much maybe .020"-.030" or so. When I replaced my rockers (all 4 at the same time) I noticed there was a wave plate (wavy washer) that acted like a spring to keep the rocker over to one side. Since that "spring" had some give to it, I could still easily push the rocker back and forth on the pivot bolt.

Thanks Kawa! that makes sense. I could see something in there that look liked a spring that was flexing. And now I see it in the parts listing. Thanks for the reply.

....I adjusted my valves this morning for like the third time in a week. The 650r is pretty new to me and I went with some advice I had seen here alot and that was to adjust your valves on the loose side.....but the ticking that was produced when doing this was unbareable.

TIA

The rocker clearances need to be as accurate as possible, just a little too loose, clickety-clack.

Hearing your valves (a little) is a good thing. Silent valves usually mean the entire unit will be silent shortly . . . .

Should the noise sound like a very noticable ticking from the top end? Also can you hurt your motor if there to loose, but the thing still pulls like hell? Can the auto decompresser unit make this noise?

I set mine by the book no noise from the top end, it's 5 years old, but if while checking the settings you move the flywheel backwards even a hair it will go into auto decompression mode and your settings will be wrong (you will set them loose because it's starting to open the exhaust valve. If you go past the mark you must go around again ( takes me 5 trys sometimes mine likes to go past the mark easy)