HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Double Moo

XR650L Brake Help

10 posts in this topic

I have an '05 650L with 2250 miles on it. My rear brake has felt like wood for the last few rides. Whe I press on the pedal I get nothing... more pressure, nothing... more pressure and it locks up. No feel whatsoever!! I checked the pad wear and they look great. I bled the brake lines - no difference.

A friend told me to pull the pads and check for glazing - smoother than glass - I must have the culprit... so tonight I drop in the new Galfer pads and presto - no difference!

So are these basically shit brakes that L owners live with... or is there something that I need to try so I can get some feel?

I have an '05 650L with 2250 miles on it. My rear brake has felt like wood for the last few rides. Whe I press on the pedal I get nothing... more pressure, nothing... more pressure and it locks up. No feel whatsoever!! I checked the pad wear and they look great. I bled the brake lines - no difference.

A friend told me to pull the pads and check for glazing - smoother than glass - I must have the culprit... so tonight I drop in the new Galfer pads and presto - no difference!

So are these basically shit brakes that L owners live with... or is there something that I need to try so I can get some feel?

actually my 05 has killer brakes F&R. when you say the rear feels like wood, you mean spongy or hard with no give? if its spongy check the caliper for any type of leak past the pistons.

Seems to me you just didn't get all the air out of them yet because you say, press,press,press ............then finally they work.

How did you bleed them?

Actually you say gradually more pressure so do you mean pumping them or more pressure on the same single stroke ?

If you must keep pumping, then they work, for sure it sounds like air in the line to me ?

You might want to try sucking instead of pumping to bleed them (not sure if you did it that way?) . Suck on a clear hose (long hose, unless you like taste of fluid?:thumbsup:) at bleeder valve while you keep replenishing the resivoir.

Sounds like the caliper piston is hanging up. My '04 had a rock solid rear brake due to a stuck piston. Pedal feels great but no braking action whatsoever. Worth a look at.

I am with GseMech on this one. Sounds like something is binding, stuck, or corroded with the brake pads or caliper piston. Take everything apart and make sure all the moving parts move like they are susposed to.

Thanks for the tips - been out of town - will have to check the piston binding and re-bleed this weekend.

Thanks again

Hopefully good.. since he wouldn`t have had rear brakes for almost 10 years if he didn`t fix it back then..

:lol:

B

Edited by brianhare
2 people like this

piston in the caliper is likely stuck. Or piston in the slave cylinder. If you apply pressure to the brake pedal and crack the bleeder on the caliper and fluid shoots out There is no problem with the slave cylinder obviously.