Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
exaresix

xr600r with some Aussie mods

10 posts in this topic

Here's what I have done so far on my '97 xr600r. As many know, the Aussie version has brake light and turn signals. I went with the xr650L tail light. This does require the addition of the L subframe. To put this on I had to add a small extension brace to the fender bolts (these have to be a longer bolt). It is pretty solid. I also finally settled on the FCR 41 carb, and was able to get one with a choke from Sudco. I did try the FCR 41 MX, and though it ran great, it would not fit unless I tilted it way to the left. That was OK until it went on the sidestand — now, tilted even more, the float wouldn't function properly and the carb would pour out gas. So it was back to the standard FCR 41, and it has a smooth linear power delivery. Of course, I had to go with the Staintune muffler. Anyhow, here are the pics.

Au1.jpg

Au2.jpg

Au3.jpg

VERY nice! i have same carb but with out choke. i find no need for one. 1-2 twists on the throttle and it starts immediately, and idles perfectly. even when its 20 degrees out! i know we talked about this before but it never grows old!:thumbsup:

Perhaps your pilot jet is different (mine is a 45)? I have to run choke for the first five minutes or it will die at idle. I sometimes wonder if there is some individual variation from one carb to the next...or maybe the version with the choke is somehow different in its interior channels. In any event, the carb works well. I have a Boyesen QS2 (not currently installed on carb), but I tried it on my other carb and I could tell very little difference.

Nice looking machine exare. That barrel looks super clean.

How do you like the sound of the staintune off idle? Barks pretty hard doesnt it?

I don't know a thing about these standard FCR 41 carbs.

Does someone sell a XR650L FCR 41 carb kit or you just buy the carb and rig it up yourself?

Does it use the same throttle cables?

Just read something about carb throats being 3MM larger on the stock carb?

How did you correct that? Was that you martinfan30 that did that and if so I was confused on your hose clamp fix?

I don't know a thing about these standard FCR 41 carbs.

Does someone sell a XR650L FCR 41 carb kit or you just buy the carb and rig it up yourself?

Does it use the same throttle cables?

Just read something about carb throats being 3MM larger on the stock carb?

How did you correct that? Was that you martinfan30 that did that and if so I was confused on your hose clamp fix?

For either the FCR 41 or the FCR MX 41 you should use the rubber manifold for the xr600r and the Sudco adapters for the xr600r that attach to the front and rear of the carb. If you use these there is no sizing problem. The carb comes jetted with a 50 pilot and 170 main. You'll have to change these to suit your needs. Eddie Sisneros recommends the 42 for a pilot and this has worked out well for some. As you might expect, the size 42 Keihin pilot jet has been on "national backorder" for months. You can buy an aftermarket 42, but these do not work the same (I tried). I went with a 45 Keihin and it seems to work well. The jets selling on eBay as Keihin are not Keihin, they are aftermarket.

As to the cables, Sudco also sells Pro-motion cables to fit these carbs.

Nice looking machine exare. That barrel looks super clean.

How do you like the sound of the staintune off idle? Barks pretty hard doesnt it?

Yes, I like the Staintune. Quiet at idle and low throttle, and loud when you get on it.

Perhaps your pilot jet is different (mine is a 45)? I have to run choke for the first five minutes or it will die at idle. I sometimes wonder if there is some individual variation from one carb to the next...or maybe the version with the choke is somehow different in its interior channels. In any event, the carb works well. I have a Boyesen QS2 (not currently installed on carb), but I tried it on my other carb and I could tell very little difference.

ya ive got a 52pilot, 160 main.

ya ive got a 52pilot, 160 main.

Yep, I have to go with a very lean pilot jet here in Phoenix in order to pass emissions, and that means I really need a choke when the engine is cold.