XR650L hesitation ???

Have a 96 650L.Installed anti smog kit.Now bike hesitates at take off.I pulled the plug,its running very lean.Is there an air fuel adjustment on the carb? or do i have to re jet???if so,what size jets?? all help will be appreciated...Bike is all stock except for smog blockoff kit...:thumbsup:

Do a search for "Daves mods" and follow the directions! You will be glad you did:prof:

Hey Steve,

I second that. You must rejet using Daves mods or a Dynojet kit to get top performance if you uncork the 650! I bought mine from a guy who put a Pro Circuit pipe on and removed the smog stuff but never did the carb mods so it was running so lean and hot I thought it was going to sieze up sitting in traffic.

Some folks on TT swear by Daves mods but since the guy already had the Dynojet kit I installed it and man what a difference in the perfornance. I guess he did'nt know how to open up the carb and was intimidated by it.:thumbsup:

Good luck,

Rman....:thumbsup:

i also did the dynojet kit and what an improvement! you can do daves mods also. i liked the djet kit because of the slimmer needle and lighter slide spring in the kit. you will get good results either way.

Shim your needle jet.

I had a hesitation at half throttle that was completely cured by the shimming procedure that is shown in "Dave's mods":applause:

thats the nice thing about the djet needle. no need for a "shim". now you have 5 "e" clip positions to play with on the djet needle! just a bit more versatile.

thanx guys, but what size jets should i be running, i have a stock pipe.im not looking for all out performance,i just want it to run a little cooler.but keep the reliability

Neither Dave's mod or the DynoJet kit will make the bike less reliable. Actually they will make it better since the engine will run cooler. Dave's mod is much less expensive than the DynoJet kit. Spend the extra cash on some other aftermarket stuff.

I'm still convinced the DJ kit works well for those who ride it such that they do not operate near the big step in the needle, and for others who are always near that transition, it has an annoying surge.

Dave

thanx guys, but what size jets should i be running, i have a stock pipe.im not looking for all out performance,i just want it to run a little cooler.but keep the reliability
Ok, then just pull your main jet and take it to your local Honda. Ask to talk to a service guy and show him your main. He will have a box of assorted jets in the shop. Read the size on your jet and ask him for one size larger. If he's cool , he'll just trade you.:thumbsup: If not, it'll cost you about $5.00.:bonk:

Although, we still think you should do the mods.:thumbsup::busted::cheers:

Rman...

55/158...............

Thanx... im going to pull the carb this week,ill try it. ill keep ya posted ...Thanx