HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chastastic

03 450 how hot?

16 posts in this topic

how hot should my 450 be running, i know that they run pretty hot, only reason i ask is that the exhaust pipe is melting anything that gets near it ie. one carb vent hose, and the airbox melted straight thru! the engine gets way to hot to touch really quickly

Check and make sure that your hot start is not stuck open. If so, the bike will run extremely hot.

And make sure you do not leave it idling more than a couple minutes at the most:thumbsup:

Welcome to TT:p

how do i know if the hotstart is stuck open, i just roed it for a couple minuts and almost the whole from t half of the pipe was red hot!

how do i know if the hotstart is stuck open, i just roed it for a couple minuts and almost the whole from t half of the pipe was red hot!

OMGGGGGGGGGGGG he said it.........:thumbsup::busted::cheers:

Get The Bubba burgers and the Brats out it's cookout time again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Chastastic....you are now officially registered/broken in at TT.........:bonk::lol: :lol: :worthy: :worthy: :p

if ur hot start opens and springs back closed...its not stuck open. if ur riding it, the pipe should not glow, only when sitting idle. dump question, u checked the coolent and oil?

Get The Bubba burgers and the Brats out it's cookout time again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

no onions on mine, and where the hell is the cheese?? what the hell kinda BBQ is this?????

:thumbsup::busted:

yeaaa, i just reconneted the hotstart so i dont think its stuck. i was just curious because i'm new to 4stroke dirtbikes and i guess i'm not used to running this hot. coolent and oil levels are a-ok. waterpump?

i would dout its the water pump, if the seals are gone u would see a constant drip for the weep hole located at the bottom of the water pump housing. i think an exhast leak could cause it to run hot too..maybe wrong. Make sure there is no foreign debris blocking the shrouds (grass, dirt, etc.)

Melting plastic is not normal.

Pull the hot start lever and see if the idle bumps up and goes down when you release it. The hot start hould be ok if that happens.

If you packing is used up, the muffler will get hot and can melt stuff. I'm guessing that's the issue.

yea i removed the muffler and it feels pretty much like an empty pipe? - the bike is pretty loud too/ pops alot when downshifting

also it's not the muffler part of the pipe that is getting hot just the midpipe where it is still thin

It sounds to me like your jetting is a touch on the lean side. Try setting your air screw and see if that helps. There is a great write-up on how to do that on here. Also if you don't have a zip-ty fuel screw I highly recommend it.

also letting it idle for a minute or two should it get hot enough to melt thru the airbox?

negative.....