HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BoyceLaForest

Do I have a head gasket leak?

5 posts in this topic

I have a 83 honda XL600

The cylinder head shows what I think looks like a very small amount of oil in between the fins on the middle gasket... the bottom is fine and the valve cover is fine.. I cannot feel any air come out with my hand when I rev it up. The bike seems to run fine, how can I tell? Compression check or something even easier for free?

I checked out the clymer manual, apparently there is a oil passage right where the leak is... the gasket must not be seated properly, the leak is so minor that I will ignore it for now.

I checked out the clymer manual, apparently there is a oil passage right where the leak is... the gasket must not be seated properly, the leak is so minor that I will ignore it for now.

I torqued the bolt that holds the middle of the oil line to head.. leak gone!

w00t!

I torqued the bolt that holds the middle of the oil line to head.. leak gone!

w00t!

this happened to me before my last adventure ride! i was freakn out till i retorqued the banjo bolt! i like to loosen it after an oil change while cranking over engine to get oil up top quicker.

Good on ya for finding the problem and reparing it. As a side note, a leaking head gasket will usually result in rough idle and poor performance.