Do I have a head gasket leak?

I have a 83 honda XL600

The cylinder head shows what I think looks like a very small amount of oil in between the fins on the middle gasket... the bottom is fine and the valve cover is fine.. I cannot feel any air come out with my hand when I rev it up. The bike seems to run fine, how can I tell? Compression check or something even easier for free?

I checked out the clymer manual, apparently there is a oil passage right where the leak is... the gasket must not be seated properly, the leak is so minor that I will ignore it for now.

I checked out the clymer manual, apparently there is a oil passage right where the leak is... the gasket must not be seated properly, the leak is so minor that I will ignore it for now.

I torqued the bolt that holds the middle of the oil line to head.. leak gone!

w00t!

I torqued the bolt that holds the middle of the oil line to head.. leak gone!

w00t!

this happened to me before my last adventure ride! i was freakn out till i retorqued the banjo bolt! i like to loosen it after an oil change while cranking over engine to get oil up top quicker.

Good on ya for finding the problem and reparing it. As a side note, a leaking head gasket will usually result in rough idle and poor performance.