Baja Designs, an experience!

The following post is not to throw mud at BD, but simply to show the frustration that a consumer can have with a niche business!

Four months ago: Tried to order catalog from internet. Reply: catalog still being printed, will put you on the mailing list. Never received catalog.

One month ago: Called BD, said I was a little confused about what I needed to do, and would like to schedule an appointment to bring in my bike for their advertised installation by on site technicians. BD: We don't schedule appointments, you have to just bring it in. Me: I live in Phoenix, and will be driving out to your place south of LA. BD: Yep, just bring it in and leave it. Me: How long will it take. BD: 1-3 days. Me: Hmmm, I can't really wait around in San Marcos for three days.

Yesterday: Flew to California, rented a car at Ontario airport, drove to BD in San Marcos.

Conversation in store...

Me: Explained what bike I had and what I wanted to do. Mentioned that I was having trouble with their website. Apparently, the site does not function completely with a Macintosh browser (which I used).

BD: Well, to do what you want to do, you'll have to order individual components.

Me: Okay, let's do that.

BD: You need to give me the exact part numbers of the components.

Me: I don't know the numbers. I couldn't pull that up on your website. Do you have a catalog here?

BD: No, it's still in print.

Me: Well, if I bought a whole kit would you discount me for items I don't want in it. In other words, can I buy a partial kit?

BD: No, complete kits only.

Me: OK, I'll take a complete kit.

BD: We're out of stock on kits, but we can take your order and mail you one when they arrive.

Me: I'll get back to you.

Drove back to Ontario airport, flew home. (Actually, I had some other business to do in California as well, but definitely didn't need to drive to San Marcos!) Glad I didn't bring my bike in for on site installation without apppointment.

• Like 1

Baja Designs is cool. They have always provided me with A1 service, answered all my queries (many) and mailed stuff to me fast.

Sorry to hear for your troubles but I think posting your issues on a forum like TT is slightly out of line.

You see in a forum, things are concentrated and a non real world view gets airtime. There are thousands on this board who have had great service from BD, but you dont go posting all good experienses do you cos people expect good service.

Perhaps if you are aggrieved then do a search and see if others had same issues - if they did then post away - if they didnt then a company like BD who supports the sport gets damaged.

Now other the other hand you can say to me, well let the market decide. I agree. Point is TT is a very very concentrated form of discussion - I personally dont klnow any members, so we are all connected-disconnected.

Anyway I have aways had stellar service from BD. They're a great US company doing good things for our sport.

I think these forums are exactly the place to discuss merchants and service. There was nothing negative said about BD (never dealt w/ them myself) exaresix was just confused at the service that was given, which sounded poor or incompetant at best. Why should we search and find what other experiences people have had before we post a thought. That to me is the whole point of these talk group. Any business thrives on word of mouth and a place like TT forces business to strive for better service to stay in business. Good Job exaresix! Post On! ?

I think these forums are exactly the place to discuss merchants and service. There was nothing negative said about BD (never dealt w/ them myself) exaresix was just confused at the service that was given, which sounded poor or incompetant at best. Why should we search and find what other experiences people have had before we post a thought. That to me is the whole point of these talk group. Any business thrives on word of mouth and a place like TT forces business to strive for better service to stay in business. Good Job exaresix! Post On! ?

Your say nothing negative was said yet say it was "poor or incompetent at best".

That's negative.

Your point on word of mouth ra ra rah is well and good IF we know all the facts.

Point is we dont. We never will. It was a transaction between 2 people you and I dont know personally.

Forums and words rarely can provide the context in which a problem arose.

Yes we should know about poor companies - the world is not perfect and there are no perfect companies.

My point is this minor screw up gets posted on the biggest dirt bike site in the universe and does not attach the correct context. Unless a major screw up then leave the negative posts alone I think.

Perhaps all the wise mature members just let this go through to the keeper, which is what I should do I think!!

Ride on

Right On !! ?

Good or bad experiance, it should be posted.

Others may read this and will now know exactly what to ask for and the way to go about it from reading exaresix's dealings with them..

He was nice about it too. Some are not.

Man, one :busted: after another :cheers: he went thru! :bonk:

Your say nothing negative was said yet say it was "poor or incompetent at best".

That's negative.

Your point on word of mouth ra ra rah is well and good IF we know all the facts.

Point is we dont. We never will. It was a transaction between 2 people you and I dont know personally.

Yes we should know about poor companies - the world is not perfect and there are no perfect companies.

My point is this minor screw up gets posted on the biggest dirt bike site in the universe and does not attach the correct context. Unless a major screw up then leave the negative posts alone I think.

Perhaps all the wise mature members just let this go through to the keeper, which is what I should do I think!!

Ride on

I wisssh I culd akshully desighfer whut all this abuv akshully means........?

Forum--

Main Entry: fo·rum

Pronunciation: 'for-&m

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural forums also fo·ra /-&/

Etymology: Latin; akin to Latin foris outside, fores door -- more at DOOR

1 a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business b : a public meeting place for open discussion c : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

2 : a judicial body or assembly : COURT

3 a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities

Well I am glad to hear the bad side as well, but want to hear about how it works as well

I had very bad luck with my Dakar kit, but the service was A1, very helpful with my needs, but the product is just not up to par in my words

I appreciate some of you folks speaking in my behalf. I simply wanted to relate an experience that was so pathetic I found myself laughing at myself for being such an idiot. I think not many people actually visit BD in San Marcos, and I had some crazy notion that this was some sort of enthusiast's shop, perhaps something akin to Pro-Italia in Glendale, California. Southern California is such a great place for enthusiats of any ilk, be it VW buses, old Moto Guzzi motorcycles, surfboards, or just about anything recreational you can think of. The reality is that I was the sole customer there, and there was not a motorcycle to be seen. What you have is an office building in a strip mall with two guys wearing headset telephones and handling people's concerns and orders over the phone. When they are off the phone, then they can talk to you. Again, this is not a slam at BD, the system works for hundreds of folks all over the world, and by all reports, they have a fantastic product. It is just not one I will be buying.

That's negative.

Ride on

This comment frustrates me to NO END ?

OF course I want to know about bad experiences with a dealer.. .THE MOTORCYCLE WORLD IS NOTORIOUS FOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I worked for serveral years at a dealership (Yam, Kaw, Suz) we used to joke about how customers were screwed regularly by suppliers and even the big 4 (worked as a zone rep for awhile as well.)

Personally, I have had mixed experiences with Baja Designs but among my local motorcycle club members they are being known as overpriced and sometimes arrogant. I have good and bad.. You just need to be aware of what you need with part numbers etc.. Their tech department has always been good to me.. I dropped close to $4k in bd in the last year alone. Proof- My XR650R with DS Kit, HID KIT and E-Start.. Again decent quality but mixed service... DO PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS H% YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I am on this forum.. WE NEED TO KNOW IF A DISTRIBUTOR OR COMPANY IS PERFORMING POORLY.. THANKS TO THIS WEBSITE I HAVE AVOIDED DEALERS ON THE CENTRAL COAST WHO ARE NOTORIOUSLY BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT NEXT--- CENSOR ANYTHING THAT PUTS DOWN THE MOTORCYCLE INDUSTRY -- COME ON .. GET FREAKIN REAL...

I spend many weekends raising money and even attending city council meetings to keep riding areas open on the central coast as the advisor to my club.. I ask local shops for help. I KNOW WHICH SHOPS HELP SUPPORT RIDING ETC.. WE NEED TO KNOW THIS>> AGAIN THE FORUM..

I HAVE ADVISED PEOPLE TO STAY AWAY FROM SHOPS THAT DO NOT HELP WITH RIDING AREAS ETC... AND WHILE THEY SHOULD MAKE MONEY... THAT IS ALL SOME CARE ABOUT..

AGAIN GET REAL AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD-- POST THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY>> THAT IS THE PURPOSE...

When buying my kit, I read alot on that other adv site and this one about all the brands (Trik, Electrix, BD, etc).

Read good and bad about them all.

At the end of the day I was informed better than at the begginning, so I bought the kit I felt was the best for me (just happened to be a BD kit).

If someone reads one post and makes a decision based on that one post, then that is their problem IMHO. Read alot, and read often ?

(PS - BD kit works great. I had some issues with getting it though Thumpertalk store (which I waited on and did get) but the guys at BD helped me out through Thumpertalk. That sold me)

This comment frustrates me to NO END :busted:

OF course I want to know about bad experiences with a dealer.. .THE MOTORCYCLE WORLD IS NOTORIOUS FOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I worked for serveral years at a dealership (Yam, Kaw, Suz) we used to joke about how customers were screwed regularly by suppliers and even the big 4 (worked as a zone rep for awhile as well.)

Personally, I have had mixed experiences with Baja Designs but among my local motorcycle club members they are being known as overpriced and sometimes arrogant. I have good and bad.. You just need to be aware of what you need with part numbers etc.. Their tech department has always been good to me.. I dropped close to $4k in bd in the last year alone. Proof- My XR650R with DS Kit, HID KIT and E-Start.. Again decent quality but mixed service... DO PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS H% YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I am on this forum.. WE NEED TO KNOW IF A DISTRIBUTOR OR COMPANY IS PERFORMING POORLY.. THANKS TO THIS WEBSITE I HAVE AVOIDED DEALERS ON THE CENTRAL COAST WHO ARE NOTORIOUSLY BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT NEXT--- CENSOR ANYTHING THAT PUTS DOWN THE MOTORCYCLE INDUSTRY -- COME ON .. GET FREAKIN REAL...

I spend many weekends raising money and even attending city council meetings to keep riding areas open on the central coast as the advisor to my club.. I ask local shops for help. I KNOW WHICH SHOPS HELP SUPPORT RIDING ETC.. WE NEED TO KNOW THIS>> AGAIN THE FORUM..

I HAVE ADVISED PEOPLE TO STAY AWAY FROM SHOPS THAT DO NOT HELP WITH RIDING AREAS ETC... AND WHILE THEY SHOULD MAKE MONEY... THAT IS ALL SOME CARE ABOUT..

AGAIN GET REAL AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD-- POST THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY>> THAT IS THE PURPOSE...

Well Said ?

Put the information out there and let people make their own decisions. As a rider I feel it is my duty to help other riders whether on the trail or in the dissemination of information. If they don't like what I think of a product or dealer...GREAT...this is America and they have EVERY right to believe as they wish but the idea of looking around first to see if others agree with you before you state your thoughts is CRAZY. All opinions about product/service ect. whether positive or negative started with one persons thought and the reputation was established from there.

Good Job exaresix...keep it up as I hope we all do!!

Exaresix, thanks for the post. I found it to be courteous and clearly explained ... As others have said .. All posts are useful.. because it gives you not only an opinion of the dealer but, also an idea of the type of person who posted about them in the first place by the way it was described. Which you did so in a professional manner... I doubt I could have stayed as reserved as you did... sorry it didn't workout and I hope you find what you need.

I am one that happens to really like Baja Designs as a supplier of dualsport and enduro parts. However, I have noticed since they moved from the Sorento Valley part of San Diego to San Marcos, the service has been a little less than desirible. I have emailed them numerous times and received no response. Fortunately for me I am close enough to go in to their store.

I was sorry to see their service center go. It's nice to have the option of having qualified people work on your bike. I was hoping they would go back to that format, instead of relying on mail order and having customer service dealt with over the phone. But since they do business all over the world, I can see why they are set up like they are now.

I still give them two thumbs up, but hope they see some of these posts and take them in to considersation.

I am one that happens to really like Baja Designs as a supplier of dualsport and enduro parts. However, I have noticed since they moved from the Sorento Valley part of San Diego to San Marcos, the service has been a little less than desirible. I have emailed them numerous times and received no response. Fortunately for me I am close enough to go in to their store.

I was sorry to see their service center go. It's nice to have the option of having qualified people work on your bike. I was hoping they would go back to that format, instead of relying on mail order and having customer service dealt with over the phone. But since they do business all over the world, I can see why they are set up like they are now.

I still give them two thumbs up, but hope they see some of these posts and take them in to considersation.

Same here, 2 e-mails gone unanswered. I ended up just going to the dealer and having him order the parts from BD for me.